Please sign in to post.

Scotland Easter Week 2019

My wife and I are planning a trip to Scotland in April 2019 and would be traveling during the Spring school holiday and Easter weekend. We are wondering what if any impact that timing would have on our trip for such things as crowds, train schedules, places to stay, places to eat and the like. Our general idea is to fly into Edinburgh, spend a few days there and then take the train to Fort William to stay and hike in the Glencoe area for several days. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks. Jim

Posted by
1376 posts

Hi, Jim,

You shouldn't run in to too much competition for accommodation, restaurants, etc. during the Scottish school holidays. Generally, the break runs from the 8th. to the 22nd. of April for most areas of Scotland. I would think that most families, given the time off, would go somewhere warm. :)

Skiing has become very popular in Scotland, especially among those who can afford it. You probably want to avoid the main skiing areas like Aviemore, the Lecht, and Glenshee during the time that you're over, unless there's no snow on the ground.

You may find a few places closed on Good Friday and Easter Sunday. I'd advise making reservations for restaurant meals on Easter Sunday, as the restaurants are likely to be heavily booked. There's always fish and chips!

Hope you have a wonderful holiday.

Mike

Posted by
6113 posts

Easter Sunday in Scotland doesn’t mean that shops are closed as they are by law in England, although some smaller independent places may close.

Trains are likely to be running a reduced schedule over the Easter weekend, as the maintenance companies make use of the long weekend for essential works and fewer commuters. Check before you travel.

Easter is late next year, so many will be making the most of the (hopefully) better weather, so I would expect that Edinburgh and the Highlands would be busy.

Posted by
18 posts

Hi Mike,
Thank you for your very helpful response. We would be west of those ski areas so hopefully we'd be able to avoid any significant snow. It also sounds like the crowds would manageable during Easter week, besides who can say no to fish and chips!
Jim

Posted by
18 posts

Hi Jennifer
Thank you for the very helpful information as well. Your comment about the shops is encouraging even though some of the smaller ones may be closed. Also, the train suggestion is very useful and we will take that into consideration in our planning.
Jim

Posted by
15 posts

We were in Edinburgh on Easter Sunday a couple of years ago and it was wonderful. The Royal Mile was full of people, but not too may that made it crowded. Street performers were out and it was fun. On Easter Monday we went to the Castle first thing in the morning and had the place to ourselves.

Have fun,

Posted by
18 posts

Hi
Thanks for the additional information including the suggestion of going to the Castle on Monday. That's a good tip!
Jim