Please sign in to post.

Scotland

I will be in Edinburgh 5 nights spending 2-1/2 days there. 1 day up in Aberdeen for Highland Games. Is it possible to drive from Edinburgh and stop in West end Glasgow early and drive up to Glencoe for the day and arrive back to Edinburgh that night. Or should we skip Glencoe and go to Sterling?

Posted by
585 posts

I cannot imagine driving from Edinburgh to Glasgow to Glen Coe and back to Edinburgh in one day. All you would see of the Glen is the narrow road, nothing of the scenery. Why do you want to go to Glen Coe. And why go via Glasgow when it is quicker to go cross country. Are you driving to Aberdeen? That will be a long day in itself with the journey and the Games . Better to go to Sterling.

Checked Ron to Rio and he estimates a drive of 4.5 hours from Edinburgh to Glen Coe via the cross-country route, so double that to get back to Edinburgh. I have been to the Glen, having spent the night in Oban. Glorious sunny day, views to die for. Stayed at the hotel on Rannoch Moor, the next day, pouring rain, no sign of the mountains as the clouds were touching the ground. Decided not to go further and drove home (Dunoon) in typical Scotch mist most of the way. Not fun!

Posted by
20 posts

Thank you for your help. We definitely could go straight to Glencoe but since we are going to Aberdeen one day that might be it for this trip.

Posted by
20 posts

We do have a rental car for our trip.
We may do a direct trip to Glencoe or just a Sterling or Glasgow visit.

Posted by
1376 posts

Hi, margotrout,

You'd be best served by making three separate trips. Glencoe would require the better part of a day from Edinburgh if you really wanted to see the highlights.

Aberdeen is about 3 1/2 hours via the M90 and A90. The fastest way to get to Hazlehead is to take the A90 Aberdeen bypass, and get off at the exit for the A944. That is Skene Road. This is the Kingswells South Junction, and should be signposted for Westhill and Alford. However, you want to go east on the A944, toward Aberdeen. When you get to the roundabout where the A944 becomes Lang Stracht, take the second exit for the B9119, which is the continuation of Skene Road. Hazlehead is well signposted. I'm assuming that you're driving back to Edinburgh after the Gathering. You should have broad daylight until about 10:30.

If there is just one site that you're going to see out on Glasgow's West End, you should have plenty of time to visit Stirling either on the way there, or on the way back. I realise that it's a bit nit-picking, but it's Stirling, not Sterling. That's reserved for coin of the realm, silver jewelry, and good cutlery.

Best wishes,

Mike (Auchterless)