Please sign in to post.

Scotland

Hello
Staying 5 nights in Edinburgh with a rental car in June 2023. Thinking of spending 2 days in Edinburgh, 1 day in Glasgow and then maybe one day driving up to the Highlands (Iverness) to see the highland games or Balmoral, and then maybe a separate day over to Glencoe? Anything anyone recommends ? Restaurants?
thank you

Posted by
79 posts

It's a long way from Glasgow to Inverness. Can't imagine having time to drive between the two and having time to see games in one day. I took, prior to a RS Best of Scotland, a train from Edinburgh to Stirling, spent a night, then trained to Inverness.

I ride trains when I travel. Last month, before, during , after a RS Best of Paris, I employed and enjoyed 7 train trips to efficiently travel to/from/around 3 cities. ab

Posted by
1642 posts

Glasgow to Inverness is about 4 hours on a good day, and the A9 is currently the focus of rebuilding.

I would advise you not to have a car in Edinburgh or Glasgow. Both are walkable, with good public transport, confusing road layouts and iffy parking.

Posted by
20 posts

Thank you
I wasn't planning on going in the order I noted just ideas of places to go to. We do have a car and only planning on using that when leaving Edinburgh. That said if going to Iverness from Edinburgh for the day is that possible? Or what would you recommend?

Posted by
5741 posts

Which Highland Games are you intending to visit?
The ones in June are-
3rd Helensburgh
11th Strathmore- at Glamis Castle
14th Ardrossan
18th Aberdeen
24th Drumtochty (Laurencekirk)
24th Ceres, Cupar

Posted by
1642 posts

Aberdeen is still a hefty slog from the Central Belt. From Glasgow again it is the best part of four hours, from Edinburgh it is around three. It is however motorway or dual carriageway most of the way although the section through Dundee will drag the time down.

Posted by
20 posts

18th Aberdeen is the date we can go and would leave from Edinburgh to Aberdeen
is that a 3 hour drive? Is it worth it or would you go somewhere else in the Highlands?
thank you again

Posted by
5741 posts

Any Highland games is worth it, but I would suggest staying in the Aberdeen area the night before (or see the Arbroath thread which is currently running) then you are there to get the benefit of the full day.
Three hours minimum each way is a long time to add on to a full day.
You are then handy the following day to go to Braemar and Ballater.
If you want to build an itinerary around the games I might think about avoiding Glasgow which will give you 3 days to basically do a circular up to Aberdeen from Edinburgh- day 1 through Fife and up the coast to Aberdeen, day 2 the Games, day 3- Balmoral and back down to Edinburgh

Posted by
20 posts

If staying 5 nights in Edinburgh (and we have a rental car) how far out would you go daily?