Please sign in to post.

Scotland

planning a trip to London for a week and plan on spending time in Edinburg for a week. We were thinking of just staying in Edinburg for the week and doing day trips. My husband and I are love the outdoors and will love to walk the highlands. We also were thinking of taking a ferry to one of the island - Any suggestions for beach, seaside, walks will be appreciated - which island can be accessed with a short ferry ride that is worth going to? We were thinking of doing an airbnb/VRBO versus hotels - we like to have a kitchen to make small meals. any thoughts or suggestions will be most helpful.

Posted by
15007 posts

When? Budget?

Trying to walk in the Highlands or taking a ferry to an outer island, while being based in Edinburgh, can be somewhat difficult. You'll be spending a lot of time commuting.

Posted by
5748 posts

Most of the islands are on the west coast. So you would really want to be staying in Glasgow for the week, not Edinburgh.

Although folk who are not used to the journey may be excessive in their cautions about the time and distance from Edinburgh. At the end of the day it is under an hour by train from Edinburgh to Glasgow Queen Street, then a 10 minute transfer to Central- I can do it in 5 minutes..

Then from Glasgow Central take a 1 hour train to Largs for the short (15 minute) ferry ride to Great Cumbrae- a gem of a small island- 2 hours to walk round it and a Glasgow holiday resort for generations.

Or another one hour train ride from Glasgow to Wemyss Bay with its magnificent station purpose built to handle ferry crowds, then a 30 minute ferry ride to Rothesay on the Isle of Bute- another of the Glasgow holiday resorts.

To use the Glaswegians phrase you are going "doon the watter"- strictly that implies joining a ferry in Glasgow, sailing down the Clyde then crossing the "tail o' the' bank, just off Gourock-- where river becomes Firth.

Having said that- from Edinburgh there is Cramond Island- a city bus ride then a walk across a tidal causeway; and there is Inchcolm - a short ferry ride from South Queensferry (another suburban bus ride)- an island chock full of history- https://www.maidoftheforth.co.uk/

Cramond is the locals island for Edinburgh- https://outaboutscotland.com/cramond-island/

Posted by
1835 posts

Great Cumbrae and Isle of Bute are good suggestions. There is also Arran (often described as Scotland in miniature) easily reached by catching the train to Ardrossan and walking across the platform to the ferry terminal.

Posted by
46 posts

thanks all for the suggestions - I think we will just stick to doing hiking around Edinburg a my husband is not keen on getting places by train/buss for more than an hour - I assume there will be may close hikes in the area. Any suggestions will help

also, there is the question on where to stay - we are happy to do an Airbnb for a week.

We are walkers - so we do not have to be in the heart of the city, and willing to walk to everything or take a short ride on the bus/tram if we have to. We like quieter areas but understand that there is going to be some noise - I just want it quiet at night so we can sleep.

Any suggestions on where to stay - old town vs new town?

I am always grateful for suggestions.

price is not an issue.

thanks

Posted by
1835 posts

There is lots of good walking around Edinburgh.

However if you are wanting to walk in the Lothians including the Pentland Hills or the Borders - you may find getting to many of the walks is going to be difficult. using public transport

Posted by
46 posts

thanks so much for the advice - i just booked our ticket s for our flight to London for one week and then heading to Edinburgh for another week. We plan to stay in Edinburgh all week
My question is where is it best area to stay in Edinburgh? - We love walking and rather stay in a quieter area with character and old charm and where the locals live. . My husband was wondering if they are places where one can stay with a family and get to know the culture better - we love meeting new people - hotels are not our thing as they tend to be sterile and not my style - bed and breakfasts? any suggestions will be good - old town versus new town? Budget not an issue