Please sign in to post.

Scotland 101

Friends have just invited us to join them on a trip to Scotland in 2025 and I would love to hear about your favorite places and experiences — especially beyond Edinburgh. We’ve visited Edinburgh a couple of times, but have only ventured beyond on a one day Rabbies highlands tour and a visit to Inverness decades ago. Our friends have never been anywhere in Scotland. We all enjoy hiking and one of the group wants to do some mountain biking. One wants to visit a distillery. I’d like to visit/stay on at least one island (Skye?) while we’re there. Our friends will probably only stay 10-12 days; we’re likely to stay somewhat longer.

Our friends are not tour people (but are open to day tours).
I know this is a very broad ask, but I’m looking for someplace to begin. Thanks!

Posted by
1493 posts

Look at www.visitscotland.com a great gateway site which shows Scotland by Region. They list places to visit, accommodations, transportation passes, admissions passes, etc. The photography is wonderful, so you can actually start visualizing your trip. Visiting Castles should be enough "hiking" for anyone. There are many Distilleries throughout Scotland. If you are planning to stay on Skye you will have to reserve in advance in Summer. As you have been around Edinburgh you might want visit other less traveled area. Follow your own interests, rather than those made famous by TV shows. We followed our Clans: Campbell and Ogilvy and visited their hometowns and Castles. You will find the same things to see and do with fewer foreign tourists. We drove, so we could stay in out of the way places. Bon Voyage.

Posted by
2202 posts

My favourite places and experiences may not be favourites for you!!!

Follow your own interests, rather than those made famous by TV shows.

That is excellent advice from Kathleen. Don't be afraid to do something differfent!

You have plenty of time to think about this and plan. First step is to get a guide book. I like DK Eyewitness Scotland as it has lots of pictures and covers many places not mentioned in other guide books. The maps are also detailed enough to help with initial planning. You can pick up second hand copies cheaply off Amazon. It needed be the latest edition but do check opening times of attractions as they may have changed.

The Walk Scotland website is the walker's 'Bible' .

Rabbies and Timberbush are recommended foir day tours. If based in Edinburgh or Glasgow DON'T be tempted by teh day trip to

With 10-12 days, don't try and be too ambitious and try and cover all of Scotland. Driving in Scotland will be a lot slower than you might expect. Distances may not look very far but will take longer to cover. Also build in time to 'stop and stare!'. If using Google maps it is recommended to add 25% to their drive times AND THEN ADD ON time for stops. With only 10-12 days with your friends, plan on 3 or at the most 4 different bases.

If hiring a car, consider Arnold Clarke or Celtic Legend. Avoid Green Motion, Drivalia, Easirent which often quote very low prices but them clobber you on all sorts of excesses. They regularly get bad reviews on Trip Advisor by people who have been caught out.

Skye is the island everyone has heard off. If you do decide on Skye , accommodation books up very quickly so you will need to book months in advance.

There are lots of equally as nice islands - Mull (with Iona , Staff and Fingal's Cave as day trips) also has a distillery. Arran is often described as 'Scotland in Miniature' and doesn't get the pressure of tourist as Syke does. It's not as far to travel either! Again it has a distillery. There's lots of good walking on both.

Fife with the fishing villages, St Andrews and Falkland Palace isn't too far from edinburgh and would mke for a few nice days. Alternatively there is Callendar and the Trossachs National Park - lots of scenery and some good walking.

Oban can be used as a jumping off place for Mull and also isn't too far to drive to Glencoe.

I also love Dumfries and Galloway, which rarely features on tourist itineraries but has wonderful scenery with some serious mountains, a few lochs, good beaches, Bladnoch distillery, ruined castles and abbeys....

Posted by
7565 posts

It would help to know if you are planning to rent a car or use public transportation, and also if you plan on visiting in the summer or off-season. It would also really help to know what your interests are besides hiking. And by hiking, do you mean gentle walks, or hardcore 8+ mile hikes?

That said, I would second wasleys' recommendation for Arran or Mull, but especially Arran. The island is very easy to get to and has the added benefit of being less crowded than Skye, which can really pack the tourists in during the summer. And it's small enough that you could easily see everything in the time you have. To get to Arran, you just head to the Ardrossan ferry (about an hour west of Glasgow), and take the ferry over to Arran (about 30 minutes). You could take the train from Edinburgh to Glasgow, then pick up a car outside of Glasgow, or if you're not renting a car, take the train to the ferry and then ferry over on foot. It's a small island so you could see a lot in a few days, especially if you're renting a car; but it is easy to get to and get around using public transportation, if you wanted to forego the car. Arran has a very good bus system that can take you most places.

At any rate, the scenery on Arran is beautiful and it is not called "Scotland in miniature" for nothing. https://www.visitarran.com/ There is wonderful hiking, mountains, beaches, Brodick Castle and gardens, the Lochranza ruins, ancient cairns, quaint fishing towns, and several whisky distilleries. I loved Arran Aromatics, a shop that has wonderful bath and body items that are made on Arran. I had to tear myself away from there. :-) I was in Scotland for 3 1/2 weeks in May of 2023 for 3 nights and loved my stay.

I also loved Mull, which is a beautiful island. Tobermory is a delight to stay in, and seeing places like the tiny island of Iona, Duart Castle, and Calgary beach was wonderful. Don't get me wrong; Skye is pretty wonderful, too, but given the crowds, I preferred Mull and Arran. Skye also has pretty limited public transportation, which makes it difficult to get to some (many) of the main attractions. It can be done, but it takes time, and research. So if you are not renting a car, it's definitely something to think about.

One thing Skye has going for it, though, is the Isle of Raasay, a sort of "wild" tiny island that is about a 10 minute ferry ride from Skye, and is an incredible place to visit. Not too many people go there, so you can do a lot of things without crowds. It has Raasay House, which is a hotel, which I have not stayed at, but hope to one day, and also a lovely cafe where you can enjoy lunch or afternoon tea. And there is a very nice distillery there as well. I enjoyed the distillery very much, and the whiskey I had was wonderful. But most of it is remote beautiful scenery, some very old ruins, and Calum's Road, a 2 mile road built by one man over a 10-year period.

Or if you feel like getting a bit further from civilization, there are the outer Hebrides, like Lewis and Harris, which has beautiful beaches, the Calainish Standing stones, which are older than Stonehenge, Lews Castle, and much more. I saw much fewer tourists there, and enjoyed my time very much.

Posted by
4578 posts

All I can say is you already have great advice! And also if you want to miss some crowds, maybe Harris and Lewis as opposed to Skye (although it is gorgeous!). There is also a distillery there (but I didn’t visit). And maybe do more than one island since you have already been to Edinburgh and will have extra time.

Also, if you have time, do a search for posts from auchterless (Mike). He hasn’t posted in a while but was extremely knowledgeable about Scotland.

Posted by
716 posts

Mardee, we are most likely going to need to travel in early summer (late May or early June) to accommodate a college graduation. We are open to either renting a car or hiring a car and driver since there will be 4 of us. We would travel by train to easy to access destinations. We like nature, history, music, food. Two of our group are sailors and we all love being near the sea.

Not interested in shopping!

In terms of hiking all of us can do long walks and climbs. Only one of us would be able to do anything super strenuous but we could all go 7 miles or so, more moderate hiking and less rock climbing.

Posted by
108 posts

Hi Ruth
We love Scotland, left our hearts there, are planning a third trip!

Have you found the Undiscovered Scotland's website? It has an interactive map so click away :) If you combine this site with Walkhighlands you'll be able to find some walks in areas that might have additional places of interest nearby.
https://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/

I agree with Mardee that Mull is a terrific place to spend a few days. There is a lovely little ramble on the north end of Mull, Art in Nature walk, that has an overlook to Calgary Bay and a nice little café. We did a day tour from Oban to Mull and we only explored the north bit of the island. In retrospect we easily could have spent 2 nights on Mull. It's beautiful.

WOW Scotland offers a Skye Explorer day hiking tour out of Inverness if you are up that way.. Although we have not taken that particular tour we have toured with them previously and they are excellent to work with. (DH is not so much a hill walker)
https://www.wowscotlandtours.com/isle-of-skye-hiking-tour-from-inverness/
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186543-d1825546-Reviews-WOW_Scotland_Tours-Inverness_Scottish_Highlands_Scotland.html

Also if you want a customized day tour we highly recommend Inverness Day Tours and their sister company Inverness Custom Tours. Split the cost 4 ways and it's not so expensive. Laura & Ian are wonderful to work with, experienced historians, passionate about sharing their country. They created a custom tour for us where we visited the Cairngorms, walked to Green Lochan, visited the Highland Folk Museum and Ruthven Barracks. There is some great walking in the Cairngorms.
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/loch-an-eilein.shtm
https://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/newtonmore/highlandfolkmuseum/index.html
https://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/kingussie/ruthvenbarracks/index.html

Also, we toured with them to Wester Ross, had a walks at Rogie Falls, at Corrieshalloch Gorge ( the suspension bridge over the gorge is amazing), and at Beinn Eighe.

https://www.invernesscustomtours.com
https://invernesstours.com
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186543-d12330621-Reviews-Inverness_Custom_Tours-Inverness_Scottish_Highlands_Scotland.html
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186543-d1810928-Reviews-Inverness_Day_Tours-Inverness_Scottish_Highlands_Scotland.html

You all will have a wonderful time in Scotland!

Happy Planning

Posted by
7565 posts

Mardee, we are most likely going to need to travel in early summer (late May or early June) to accommodate a college graduation. We are open to either renting a car or hiring a car and driver since there will be 4 of us. We would travel by train to easy to access
destinations. We like nature, history, music, food. Two of our group are sailors and we all love being near the sea.

Not interested in shopping!

In terms of hiking all of us can do long walks and climbs. Only one of us would be able to do anything super strenuous but we could all go 7 miles or so, more moderate hiking and less rock climbing.

Ruth, if you do go to the Highlands, it's not really too early to start looking for accomodations, especially on Skye. I started booking for my trip in May of 2023 about 8-10 months ahead, depending on the place. In terms of driving, with four of you, you would have to find something big enough to hold your luggage and 4 people, and some (many) of the roads on the islands (at least Mull, Skye and Arran) are single track and can be pretty narrow. So you might want to looking into hiring a driver. You can certainly take the train from Edinburgh to the Highlands and then either pick up a car or make arrangements for a driver once you get there.

If you like hiking, then definitely check out wasley's and Diane's link, Walk Highlands. It's a veritable treasure trove of hiking in the UK. You also might consider driving along the north east and eastern coastal line. I did that heading back from the Hebrides and it was wonderful. i went through Nairn, which is a lovely town with a very walkable beach, then continued along the coast towards Portknockie, then Cullen and down to Cruden Bay and onwards.

Or you could head to Nairn and that area, but then head southward through the Cairngorms, as Diane mentioned. On the way, you could stop off in Speyside, which has many whisky distilleries in that area.

Lastly, as TexasTravelMom said, you might want to look through some of Mike's (auchterless) posts. He really was a wealth of information. You can find threads he posted on here: https://community.ricksteves.com/users/824075/posts

Posted by
35 posts

We loved Glasgow and spent two days there. We did the hop on/hop off bus tour and got off and saw the Kelvingore Art Gallery (I highly recommend) and did the Rick Steves walk from there through the Glasgow University area and Hillhead area. We also walked around the Buchanan Street area and went to the Glasgow Cathedral. We stayed at the Z Hotel by George Square and it was only $105/night and included breakfast and a free wine and cheese happy hour. It was central to everything! We were in Edinburgh for three nights and did one day trip to St. Andrews. Beyond the old golf course and the British golf museum, the town is so cute and walkable. We saw castle ruins and ate at a cute bistro. We saw the St. Andrews University and had coffee at the cafe that Will and Kate would frequent when they were students there.

Posted by
63 posts

Since you mention hiking and possibly Skye: one of the highlights of our 16 day trip was hiking the Quiraing on Skye. Do the trail counterclockwise and go early! After this hike, you can go find the dino prints on Corran Beach, just a 10 minute drive from the Quiraing. You'll need to go while the tide is low, but it's easy to check the tide charts, which you can find online. They are really cool! From there, you can spend the rest of the day driving south (against traffic) and take in some other hikes or beautiful stop-offs.

The Fife fishing villages are also really fun to explore. We stayed in Crail and visited Anstruther, Pittenweem, St. Monan's. You can hike between the villages along the coastal trail or each village is just a short drive from one to the other. (I particularly loved the Crail Harbor Gallery and Teahouse for coffee and a treat and the Crail Pottery, which is family owned and everything is made right there. Best fish and chips of our entire trip in Crail as well!)

Don't try to spread yourself too thin and rush. Just invest in a couple good travel books and do some research....there's so much to enjoy!!!

Posted by
11 posts

I had my first Scotland visit in 2018 and I loved Pitlochry, Culross, Inverness (even though everyone else doesn't). On that trip, we had an extra day at the end so I ended up doing a day tour that hit Loch Ness, Beauly Priory, Clava Cairns and Culloden Battlefield. I never thought I was a tour person, but LOVED the tour because of all the fantastic information and stories from the guide. I wished I had done that on the FIRST day instead. I think I would have had an even deeper appreciation for the things I was seeing. So if you are going to do a tour, do it as close to day 1 as possible. This trip will be my husbands first trip and I have schedule a day tour for the first day we are there so he can get that experience as well.

I did the Talisker Distillery tour and the Glen Ord - Singleton now, distillery which I enjoyed, which is very close to Inverness. We are trying the Glenfiddich Distillery this time. Inverness makes a great place to use as a base because your highlands are right there, plus distilleries and then not far to Isle of Skye.