Please sign in to post.

Route advice

My daughter and I are leaving for Scotland in a week for 20 days. On day 16 we will be leaving Fort Williams (we are driving) heading to Glasgow. We are really undecided which route to take... A82 Ive heard is a fabulous route, truly stunning. Ive also heard that going the other way down to Oban and across to Inverary is also lovely. Oban has rave reviews, Inverary is apparently very nice and the castle is amazing plus theres a view point, Rest and be Thankful, that shouldn't be missed. Anyone have any advice that might help us decide which one to go. I feel like we are going to miss out on a great experience with which ever one we dont choose....

Posted by
6547 posts

We enjoyed Oban when we visited it years ago, but there’s isn’t much to it.

Last September we drove from the Glencoe area down the A82 to visit Inveraray Castle. It is a nice house and worth visiting. From it we went back to the A82 south to Dumbarton. I don’t think there’s a best route.

Posted by
4101 posts

I'll second that Oban is nothing special. We were there in June of last year and my impression is it's a place to get to other, nicer places such as Mull. From Oban we drove to Glasgow via the A82 and it is a beautiful, but curvy drive that requires your full attention. If you're the driver and want to enjoy the views I'd plan on taking the day to make it to Glasgow so you can stop and enjoy the views.

Posted by
11 posts

Thank you for the responses. That was one of the options we were talking about yesterday, heading down the A82 and just detouring off to Inverary and the castle and then back to the A82 and Glasgow. I think thats what we will do. Either way sounds great but unfortunately we cant see it all...

Posted by
3122 posts

I haven't been to Oban, but we loved Inveraray so much on our first trip to Scotland that we made a point of returning the following year. The castle is indeed lovely, indoors and out in the gardens. Loved seeing the flock of black sheep. Inside, it has one of the best collections of arms & armor in Britain; also lots of beautiful period furniture. Amazing since it burned in 1979(?) and the townspeople helped save so much of the contents.

I can recommend Brambles in Inveraray for lodging and daytime meals. The George Hotel has a nice pub and dinner menu.

Posted by
11 posts

Thanks so much. It sounds lovely and Im very excited to see it and I hear the town is quite nice too!

Posted by
1644 posts

Inveraray is on the A83 which is a scenic route as much as the A82. It joins the A82 half way along Loch Lomond.