Please sign in to post.

Romantic Estate or Countryside Lodging Near Edinburgh in early August 2018

My husband and I are traveling to Scotland for the first time in early August 2018. We will be on a tour of the Scottish Borders for the beginning of our trip. The tour ends in Edinburgh. We want to remain in Scotland to enjoy the beauty, culture and relax for another 3-4 days. We will not have a car. We are thinking about using Uber for transportation from Edinburgh to the lodging after the tour concludes and then at the end of the trip back to the Glasgow airport. We enjoy experiencing local culture and shy away from extreme tourism. We want to stay in a castle, at an estate, or B and B where we can take walks during the day, experience something new and generally relax. The location should be in walking distance, or be accessible by Uber, to a small village or town for meals or have dining options on premise . We are in our late fifties, early sixties. We generally stay in a suite with comfortable bedding, a good seating area and a nice view - 4 Star accommodations. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Posted by
3183 posts

Have you checked out The Witchery? Its a hotel located in Edinburgh and it looks fantastic! Really different. Its described as a boutique Gothic hotel. We would stay there on our upcoming trip to Edinburgh, but they don't allow children and we will have our kids with us.
Next time though, that is where I want to stay!
They do have a restaurant on premise, and I have read that it is good.
It is also walking distance to Dean village, a quaint and scenic village.

Posted by
2023 posts

I can't comment on rooms at The Witchery but we have eaten at their restaurant twice and it is over priced for very mediocre food.

Posted by
196 posts

I have stayed at the Witchery. Our "room" was a suite of rooms including a small kitchen, a sitting area (with a bottle of champagne upon arrival), a dining room (where they presented a hamper of breakfast items each morning), a bathroom (with a deep tub, heated floors and luxury toiletries), and a bed room (where music was playing upon our arrival. It was really quite something. It was also $500 a night. We splurged at the beginning of our trip, and I thought it was fabulous.

Posted by
123 posts

My boss and her family stayed at Dalmahoy last August as their last stop in Scotland and loved it. Then they hopped onto the train to London. She recommends making reservations far in advanced. They made theirs a year in advanced and were glad they did because a huge wedding was booked for same weekend.