Please sign in to post.

Restaurant recommendations

A friend and I will be visiting Scotland the first two weeks in October. We are taking two 3 day tours and a one day. We would appreciate any restaurant recommendations in the following towns. (Prefer moderate priced places).
Glasgow, Portree, Inverness, Ullapool, Thurso
Thanks much for your help.

Posted by
10 posts

We were just in Portree and enjoyed the food at Dulse & Brose at The Bosville. In Glasgow we had a great meal at the Ox and Finch which is in the West End. They do small plates and have a varied menu.

Posted by
7 posts

Ullapool --- I can tell you for certain that right now getting a table to dine in at a restaurant probably requires a reservation. Two restaurants closed at the end of last season (The Frigate & Morefield Motel) and so it's a bit of a challenge. There is also a shortage of workers so some places are altering the days & times they are open and modifying their menu. Your best bet is to google Places to Eat in Ullapool and plan accordingly. Now in October things are a bit quieter so you may be fine just walking in.
Restaurants I like:
The Ceilidh Place - (0) 1854 612103 (Add +44 and drop the 0 if calling from the States)
Lunch 12 noon - 3pm Dinner 5pm - 8:30pm
You need to phone to make a reservation

The Arch Inn - (0) 1854 612454
Lunch 12noon - 2pm Dinner 5:30 - 9pm (Wednesday - Sunday)
They have an online "Book a Table" or you can phone them if that's easier.

There are many other good places you can also try.

Takeaway:

The Seafood Shack has been voted the best seafood takeaway in the North Coast 500 (12 noon - 6pm - Everyday & they've added a tent with tables for people to use especially if the weather is dicey).
Other places offer Chinese, Indian, soups, salads & sandwiches and much more.
There is a new pizza takeaway place, The Oak and Grain. The pizza is delicious! They are on Facebook.
The West Coast Delicatessen is offering a Graze Box & a Banquet Box to help alleviate the dining situation. The boxes are for 2 people and look amazing. You can take a look at what is included on their website www.westcoastdeli.co.uk

I'm certain you will find something to your liking. I hope this helps.