Please sign in to post.

Reason 217 to love Scotland

I first went to Scotland because my grandfather was born there. Since then I've found so many reasons to return. One of them has been exploring Wild Scotland and understanding the geology and biology of the country. This video about the Northeast of Scotland is wonderful. Most people think of beautiful lochs, wonderful whisky, kilts, heroic figures, castle, heather and maybe some fiddle music when they plan a trip to Scotland. This video shows you how much more is there. Americans and Canadians are used to thinking about wild places in our own country. But, look! You can find the wild in Scotland too!

Will you now think of going east as well as west when you visit Scotland?

Posted by
1376 posts

Hi, Pam,

Thank you for that! Aberdeenshire is the first place I travel to when I visit Scotland. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, Northeast Scotland is left out of most guidebooks. Most of the tourists I've encountered there are from other parts of Scotland, or from South Britain. North Americans seem to pass this beautiful part of Scotland by on their way to Skye and the Highlands. There are so many stunning places to visit, especially along the coast, and along the River Dee.

The Lairig Ghru, north of Braemar, is one of the most beautiful and challenging mountain passes in Scotland. Bennachie, near Inverurie, is a rite of passage for just about everyone who lives in Aberdeenshire. Newburgh Beach, where the seals were seen in the video, is one of the most beautiful and unspoiled beaches in that part of Scotland. The cliffs where the seabirds are seen are part of the Fowlsheugh Nature reserve, south of Stonehaven.

I could go on at length, but suffice it to say that I love this part of Scotland.

Slainte!

Mike (Auchterless)

Posted by
3948 posts

Lovely video! You two are great ambassadors for Scotland. :) I will be there just for a second time in 2020 and now trying to figure out how I could make it three weeks, instead of two - add this area! :)

Posted by
11 posts

Thank you for the terrific video link!
I can't wait to see it in person this coming may!
Cheers, Tom

Posted by
9462 posts

I love Aberdeenshire and the variety of sights it offers. Can’t think of many better days than a morning at Craigievar, lunch, afternoon at Dunnottar, then a stop at BrewDog pub in Aberdeen in the evening. Unless it would be to add in a stop at Fowlsheugh Nature Reserve to see some puffins!! And that’s not even counting Pennan etc,

Posted by
5678 posts

Mike, on one of my early walking trips, we partially up into Lairig Ghru from the north. We didn't have time to walk through it. Most of the walking that we did in that area was on the Rothiemurchus estate, which is wonderful. I have a picture of one of the small lochs with mounds of heather in front of it that I frequently use as wallpaper on my computer. I've walked along the Moray Firth, but not as far east as the beach. I did watch the You've Been Trumped video years ago which also features Aberdeenshire along with DT. :)