Please sign in to post.

raincoat

Looks like it is important to have a good raincoat with a hood for Scotland! Any recommendations for a good brand? Or maybe a jacket and a poncho to put on over if it rains? I bought what looked like a nice raincoat from Eddie Bauer but when I tried it on the hood did not work --there was no way to adjust it so the viser would not hang down over my eyes! Don't want to keep ordering things that I have to return!

Posted by
2427 posts

I bought a waterproof raincoat on Amazon. I wanted one with a hood that covered my butt. I purchased one from the company called Joules. On the one occasion in Scotland where we were in a downpour it kept me dry. The key is to get one that is waterproof and not water resistant.

Posted by
15014 posts

. I wanted one with a hood that covered my butt.

I think you may be wearing it wrong if the hood is covering your butt. :)

Posted by
424 posts

I like my marmot precip shell. Hood, pit zips, keeps me dry.

Posted by
27122 posts

Keeping hoods in place is sometimes a challenge. In the winter I wear a wool hat under the hood of my down coat; that pretty much keeps the hood in place. Summer hats aren't as bulky, but a brimmed summer hat under the hood of my rain jacket helps. Some rain jackets come with an adjustable cord.

Posted by
545 posts

I have a Columbia brand waterproof lightweight rain jacket I bought several years ago. I believe it was the Arcadia model. Worked well in Scotland and Italy. With layering, it’s a good windbreaker as well.

Posted by
16286 posts

Everyone can recommend their favorite brand, but things fit differently. Ordering online may not be the best way to find the right raincoat. If the Eddie Bauer coat that did not work for you is this one:

https://www.eddiebauer.com/p/20612683/women%27s-girl-on-the-go(r)-trench-coat?sp=1&color=Dk%20Evergreen

I will just say that the hood works well for me—petite, size XS. So we are all different.

Sometimes it works best with a hood to wear a baseball -style cap underneath to protect your eyes and face, and hold the hood back from sliding down over your eyes.

Posted by
2675 posts

when I tried it on the hood did not work --there was no way to adjust
it

Are you sure about this? There is usually a way to adjust the hoods on raincoats, but it is not obvious how to do so. I discovered 2 years after I purchased my raincoat that there is a way to adjust the hood. Look at the back of the hood. There should be something back there that you can adjust.

Posted by
8383 posts

Hat under the hood is key to a good fit. I especially like a brimmed hat that does dual purpose for sun protection and packs flat.

Posted by
4085 posts

While not perfect, this one from Columbia really was great for me in Scotland last summer. I especially liked the longer length (it’s all about priorities). In addition to good rain protection, the length allowed me to sit on wet spots without getting wet. The sleeves are too long for me but I roll them up.

Posted by
1282 posts

Hi Debjsd -

Good waterproof jacket yes, poncho I’d avoid. The reason you very rarely see U.K. residents wearing a poncho is that it can get pretty breezy (especially in Scotland) and you may find yourself desperately trying to hold it down or watching it fly off into the distance.

I have several waterproofs - a Paramo and a heavy duty Rab for autumn/winter and a lighter weight Rab and a very thin Mountain Hardware jackets for warmer days. The Paramo is great but you’ll boil in all but the coldest conditions and they are fragile compared with the Rab in terms of abrasion resistance. You’ve got good advice above and your local outdoor (REI?) would have something, surely. That, or you could buy something once you arrive in Scotland - they do know a thing or two about waterproofs! And incidentally, I too wear a baseball cap under my hood to avoid obscuring my vision in all but the most vile conditions.

They sell cheap and flimsy ponchos at the The Globe in London (“Let it rain potatoes” - Wm. Shakespeare) but they are chiefly for the audience, mainly the groundlings, in the event that the open-to-the-elements theatre is subject to inclement, but sheltered, weather. I’ve got one of those - a ‘cultural poncho’ if you will, but I wouldn’t wear it in the open!

Ian

Posted by
1605 posts

I have a waterproof windbreaker with hood from Marmot which I've been very happy with. I plan on bringing it to Scotland when we go this June.

Posted by
13946 posts

The wording you want to look for on the Eddie Bauer jackets is "adjustable" hood. It looks like their "Girl on the Go Trench" has an adjustable hood.

I got a cheap Columbia jacket last summer for my trip to Italy where I thought my regular rain jacket would be too heavy. It did NOT have an adjustable hood and drove me nuts so I understand what you are saying.

Depending on where you live you may be able to find Columbia jackets locally. They have them in my Fred Meyer (Kroger) so if I'd looked carefully I'd have seen that it didn't have a tab on the back of the hood to make it smaller.

Totally concur with Ian about the poncho. This will drive you nuts. It will flap around like the seagulls in The Birds.

Posted by
671 posts

I agree with many others -- the Marmot Precip (I believe is the name) is very good. Used it to hike the West Highland Way in Scotland. It is lightweight, the hood folds into the collar/neck so when it isn't needed it is not in the way. The price is right, and it comes in great colors -- the 4 of us who travel together each have a different color!

Posted by
13946 posts

I’ll add this about the Marmot. I found it was too slim cut for me. I want a jacket to be roomy enough that I can zip it up over a small purse if it’s really raining. I’m fluffy so the Marmot didn’t work for me.

Is there an REI store near you? You can try on different brands and styles and look at the different hood arrangements.

Posted by
4844 posts

The problem with most hoods is that if they are long enough to cover the forehead and eyes, they flop down into/over the eyes. We solved the problem with a long LL Bean rain coat with a hood, but added a waterproof ball cap from Outdoor Research under the hood. The long brim of the cap keeps rain off our glasses, and also supports the fabric of the hood to keep it from floping down. Just google outdoor research waterproof cap to see a good selection.

We also keep a dry pair of socks in a zip lock bag in our day bag. They have saved the day more than once.

Posted by
12 posts

Thanks for all the replies--I may have to drive away from my city to check out an REI. just not much in the way of outdoor clothing shopping in my city. Also, I like the idea of the ball cap under the hood that makes sense to keep it from flopping over the eyes--so maybe I will take one when I go to try on coats.

Posted by
2448 posts

Going to an REI is a good idea - I’ve found the employees there to be very helpful and nice. They really do seem to want people to get what works best for them.

Posted by
65 posts

Fir years I have used a hooded Merrill raincoat and it rolls up fitting into backpack. I have to wear a ball cap under the hood to extend “drip line” over my face. I also have a Columbia short raincoat and it works the same way.
For my trip to Scotland this year I have purchased a long Eddie Bauer trench coat. I think someone has already mentioned it. Girl on the Go. Have already worn it and it is waterproof. Folds into a packable size that fits into backpack. It looks good too. I love all three jackets.
The ball cap underneath all three of those hoods works for me, extending the drip line off your face.

Posted by
13946 posts

OK, apparently I can't quit talking today but the modification I thought of for my Columbia with the too big hood is to use a binder clip on the inside of the hood to take up some of the slack. I'm not one for wearing a ball cap but that is a good option as well.

Posted by
470 posts

Been to Scotland a fair few times and didn't feel the need to get a special raincoat
Are you doing some long distance walks such as the West Highland Way?

Posted by
13946 posts

"Been to Scotland a fair few times and didn't feel the need to get a special raincoat"

Roger, perhaps you already have a waterproof layer that you use at home?

For myself, I never wear a raincoat here at home. I use my waterproof layer when I'm shoveling snow here in the Inland Northwest and that's it. I go from my car to a store/venue and never need even an umbrella. If it's pouring, I'm retired and I stay home, lol. This morning, heading out to a meeting, it was raining but I knew the distance from where I would park to the bakery where the meeting was held was short and I'd not get too wet.

When I started traveling internationally I realized I DID need a good waterproof rain layer. I am more apt to be out and around more in wet weather when I'm traveling than at home so I expect that is what is happening with the OP and her question as well.

Posted by
2377 posts

In addition to Pam's comment, sometimes you need something different for travel.

I have a decent raincoat that I wear at home for dog walking, but it's bulky and more water-repellent than water proof. Not what I want to pack and wear for walking in the rain for a few hours.

Posted by
13946 posts

Good point, Liz. I also like my travel raincoat to be able to fold up into a ziplock in my purse if it doesn't look like it'll be rainy all day long.