Please sign in to post.

Q re visiting Edinburgh during The Open 2015

I am considering a few days in Edinburgh next July, and I learned golf's The Open will be at St. Andrew's during my stay.

I bet not, but does anyone think I should steer clear of Edinburgh because of the golf?....maybe there's crowds?...higher hotel costs?

Also, I'm sure there are many outfits offering daytrips (I've found Viator), but one that looked interesting was to the town of St.Andrews and the course. I imagine that trip won't be offered during my stay, but I'm wondering what other trip or two would be essential for my first visit to Scotland. And any suggestions on other companies is welcome.

Finally, I'd be interested in learning of inexpensive B&Bs in a key/convenient spot for seeing the sights in Edinburgh.

Thanks!
-Dave

Posted by
39 posts

No need to take a tour to get to St Andrews. Take the train from Edinburgh Waverly to Leuchers. Take the bus to St Andrews from Leuchers. The bus driver will let you off just steps from the Old Course if you want or get off the bus at the St Andrews bus station and enjoy the town for the day.

Posted by
1265 posts

Dave, Our family stayed at Mingalar(www.mingalar.eu) in Edinburgh in 2009. It's about a 15 minute walk from Waverly Station. Clive, the owner, is very knowledgable on the goings on in Edinburgh. The town of St Andrews is a nice little town to visit. The cemetary is pretty interesting. The 2015 Open Championship will be held in St Andrews between the 12 - 19 July. The Old Course normally shuts down a month before the Open Championship and opens back up about a week after. Like the previous poster mentioned, no need to book a tour. Just take the train to Leuchars and a bus into St Andrews. Keep in mind the the train and bus will probably be packed during Open Championship week.

Posted by
5678 posts

I wouldn't steer clear of Edinburgh. It will be busier and you should book your hotel further in advance and there will be more people. And I agree you can do St. Andrew's on your own. Again, just plan for crowds. It will probably be more exciting!

Pam

Posted by
1626 posts

We will be in Edinburgh immediately before the Ryder Cup at Glen Eagles this year. While it was difficult to find availability 10 months in advance on the Royal Mile for under 200 pounds/night, we found a room at one of RS $$$ B&Bs. I'd recommend booking hotels as soon as possible. Confirm the cancellation policy if you need to tweak or shorten your dates as your trip gets closer. A month we tried to shorten our stay by 1 night, and the B&B refused to accept our request.

Posted by
100 posts

Update here...decided to do Edinburgh despite The Open...and found a very nice-looking, VERY reasonable little place two blocks from Princes Street on North Castle.

But am still wondering about what daytrips from tour companies are essential...looking at Viator and Rabbies, some seem to overlap. Generally, there's one to Loch Ness/Glencoe, one to Stirling Castle/Loch Lomond and one to Loch Lomond/Invararay (the West Coast). Then there's the St.Andrews one that is probably good even if it doesn't include the golf course.

I have four full days (staying there five nights)...I should do two of these, don't you think? (I am aloting two days to Edinburgh proper.) My instinct is Loch Ness and St.Andrews...my interests are broad, scenery and castles/history....so maybe the Invarary one instead of Loch Ness (despite it's "name value"). I welcome your suggestions.

Posted by
5678 posts

Do you like castles? An easy day trip that you can do yourself is to take the train to Stirling. It's beautifully situated and the town is nice as well.

Pam

Posted by
32701 posts

Are you aware that Viator is a middleman and doesn't run any tours themselves? They are in many tourist areas and link up tourists with actual tour providers. If there any hiccoughs they don't do anything to resolve problems because your contract is with the actual provider not them.

I don't say to avoid them but you should know your position.

Posted by
100 posts

Nigel-
I did not know Viator was not an actual tour company. Interesting. But they get good reviews. I've got plenty of time to research, but thanks.

And any thoughts from anyone on the key sights to see among the tours offered, is appreciated. Some have commented that these excursion are easily done without paying a tour company and simply renting a car....that's not for me. I prefer to let someone else drive and tell me what I'm looking at!