Please sign in to post.

Private Tour

If you have the funds, I'd recommend checking into a private tour. We did not want to go around Scotland in a big bus with someone else's itinerary and on someone else's schedule, nor did we feel comfortable driving ourselves. We wanted to spend time, mostly outdoors, in a relaxed fashion. I developed the itinerary with Lea, a consultant at Rabies and Rabies subcontracted the trip to a driver-guide with Hopscotch Travel. https://hopscotchtravel.co.uk/ Our guide was Stewart and he was fantastic. My husband and I spent 8 days with him driving in a comfortable Mercedes SUV. Among the places we went were Oban, three islands (Mull, Iona and Staffa in one long day), the Isle of Skye for three days, the Applecross mountain road, Inverness, Culloden, the Hermitage Woods walk, and Birnam. We did Edinburgh and Stirling on our own. It was a very collaborative and fun experience. Free of many of the stresses of travel.

Posted by
23443 posts

The response may be -- if you have to ask, you cannot afford it.

Posted by
5 posts

Price for the eight days was about $9,000, including some entry tickets and the guide's lodging. Did not include our meals or accommodations (which we chose and booked ourselves). Not cheap but not crazy expensive given what we got.

Posted by
5 posts

We could have booked directly with Hopscotch but I did not know of its existence at the time. I suspect it would have been somewhat cheaper but I don't know.

Posted by
2554 posts

Thanks for confirming the price - always interesting to know what sort of figure it would be.