Please sign in to post.

Premier Inn

Have you ever stayed at any of the Premier Inn locations in Scotland or Ireland? Do you have any reviews to share?

Posted by
27120 posts

A travel mate and I stayed at these three Scottish Premier Inns in 2019. I/we have stayed in others and have consistently been satisfied. I don't remember significant noise problems, though the hotel where you can't hear people talking as they walk right past your room either doesn't exist or is in a different cost bracket. The Wi-Fi, air conditioning and plumbing have not failed us. I've slept in both the large beds (when I'm not sharing the room) and on the day-bed. I was comfortable in both cases, but the day beds are not as cushy as the large beds.

I've never eaten in a Premier Inn, so I can't comment on their breakfasts or any other meals.

Glasgow City Centre Buchanan Galleries
Dundee Centre
Edinburgh City Centre Princes Street

Posted by
1376 posts

Hi, kr6070,

Mrs A and I are regular Premier Inn guests. We have stayed in Premier Inns in Aberdeen (3), Inverness (3), Dundee (2), Stirling, Edinburgh, Glasgow (3), Oban, Falkirk, and Elgin.

We have never been disappointed. With Premier Inns, you pretty much know what you're going to get - a clean, comfortable, well-lit room; copious hot water for showers; cable television (so you can watch BBC ALBA), and an attached restaurant.

I'll admit that some Premier Inns are better than others, but that's the case with every hotel chain. But they are consistent in that they are a relatively good value if you reserve as far in advance as possible. For example, we stayed at the PI Aberdeen North for five nights last July, and paid an average of 40 pounds per night. Even with having to pay for breakfast, you're still way ahead of the game.

We have not eaten at many of the PI restaurants - there are just too many other choices! However, when we have, the food has been of a very good quality. Top marks to Oban, Glasgow (Stepps), and Inverness (East).

If you need recommendations for a specific PI, I may be able to steer you in the right direction, or you can check the Trip Advisor reviews.

Best wishes for your travels (and your hotel stays)!

Mike (Auchterless)

Posted by
6318 posts

I stayed at three different Premier Inns in Scotland last month. One in Elgin, the second one in Dunfermline, and the last in Edinburgh on York Place.

I really liked them for the most part. The rooms are clean, decently sized, and you know what to expect. They can be a little skimpy with the towels, but just ask and they’ll bring you more. I especially liked the location of the one in Edinburgh. It was in a more residential area, but still very centrally located. The staff was friendly and helpful.

The only thing I had a problem with was the crappy Wi-Fi. But that was partly because I was trying to upload photos to my laptop and wound up having to upgrade to the paid Wi-Fi. It was only an additional 5 pounds, but I objected to it on principal. But that wouldn’t stop me from staying at a Premier Inn in the future. And I think for most people, the Wi-Fi would not be a problem.

Breakfast is not included, but is very reasonably priced. I believe it was £7.99 for the continental breakfast and £9.99 for the cooked breakfast. I found the continental breakfast to be more than satisfying and very tasty.

Overall, I was happy with my stays at the Premier Inn, and would not hesitate to stay there again.

Posted by
6541 posts

We stayed at Premier Inn Edinburgh City Centre Royal Mile hotel last September and thoroughly enjoyed it. For a basic hotel, it’s breakfast buffet was very good.

Posted by
358 posts

Premier Inn had a major overhaul a few years ago and consistently provide a relatively no frills tidy stay with normally a decent breakfast option at a sensible price if booked well in advance

Posted by
2639 posts

I have stayed in Premier inns all over the UK and found them to be brilliant for my needs, not full service hotels, but clean and warm,good size room ,comfortable beds,nice on-suite facilities, tea and coffee making facilities in the room.Breakfast are really good whether you go for the continental or the cooked breakfast, as much as you can eat,great value for money.

Posted by
5748 posts

In Scotland I've stayed at Glasgow St Enoch three times (and others in Glasgow in the past) and at Aberdeen Airport in a few weeks time. (and several others pre Covid).
I always know what I am getting, and I find the beds dreamy. I never sleep as well as in a PI bed (I don't know why they are so good), I know what I am getting, always sparkling clean, friendly and efficient staff.
I haven't had breakfast at St Enoch as the first two trips were during Covid- the way Scotland was applying Covid restrictions was bizarre and I was just too neurotic.
The first time I got take out breakfast from Sainsburys and the 2nd time I decided to have the famous Waverley breakfast as we sailed down the Clyde from central Glasgow to Ardrishaig.
This time I was leaving too early and was being OCD over my 0707 train departure.
But for the money charged their breakfasts are great value and I have had them in England in the past. I am looking forward to breakfast at Aberdeen, as I have a really late start from there at 0850.
Apart from one occasion at Thurrock (Essex) I have always personally found the basic WiFi entirely adequate for my own needs- email and streaming and OCD checking of my forward transport. At Thurrock the system was just having a very bad day- it was a Sunday night and Tech support for the hotel just wasn't there. It could happen anywhere at any hotel.
I get a bit annoyed at self check in where it exists- but that is just the modern trend. At St Enoch a week or two ago I was brain dead after 37 hours on the road, and fumbled around with the very easy task like a total numpty. Why the staff member who had to keep correcting me didn't just take over on her I-pad I don't know, but, hey, it is what it is. She was very patient with my incompetence anyway, which is all you can ask.

Posted by
15007 posts

I agree with most of the above posters. I have stayed in numerous Premier Inns all over the UK and never had a bad stay. Always clean, always quiet, always comfortable.

On the downside they need to improve their wifi. Slow for today's standards.

Posted by
1644 posts

With the others I have frequently used Premier Inns. Comfortable, clean rooms they serve a good base. Usually have a decent restaurant on site, though you have no obligation to use it. The WiFi costs which is an annoyance. They also tend to be near supermarkets and chain restaurants for provisions and instead of the restaurant breakfast will head off to for example the local Tesco, Costa, McDonald's and so on.

Posted by
27120 posts

I've never paid for Wi-Fi at a Premier Inn. The standard Wi-Fi has been fine for me. I'm not trying to work when I travel or stream video.

Posted by
6318 posts

On the downside they need to improve their wifi. Slow for today's standards.

Yes, I mentioned this above and it's so true. Their free wifi is so slow and I hate having to pay £5 to upgrade to a faster speed that would be gratis at any other hotel. But then I only paid £50 for the rooms in Elgin and Dunfermline, so I suppose I shouldn't complain.

Posted by
1644 posts

To be fair the Premier Inn in Elgin is a typical on an industrial estate Premier Inn! The neighbouring McDonald's does a good breakfast.

Posted by
6318 posts

MC, I can imagine, although the Premier Inn in Elgin really pushed the meals at the restaurant next door (Brewers Fayre). In fact, the breakfast was also at that restaurant. I imagine they have some deal going (or is the restaurant also owned by PI?).

Posted by
1644 posts

Most of the restaurants attached to Premier Inn, Brewers Fayre, Beafeater, Table Table, are indeed owned by the same company, Whitbread, as Premier Inn itself.

Posted by
1743 posts

I stayed at two Premier Inn locations last month, in Fort William and in Dundee.

I would not stay in Premier Inn again, and not necessarily because there's anything terribly wrong with them. I'd say they are the British equivalent of Super 8 or Days Inn. They are generic and lacking in character. The two rooms I stayed in were absolutely identical in every detail: layout, furnishings, decor, all the same. And that's really okay too, but when I'm traveling for pleasure, I like staying in lodgings with a more personal touch: inns, guesthouses, B&Bs, etc. Sometimes those are a letdown, and if you prefer to know what you're going to get, and generic is okay with you, then Premier Inn would be a good choice.

On the down side: the hallways were very long and narrow. When housekeeping carts are parked in the hallway, or when other guests are coming through, it can be tight to get past. (This wasn't an issue in Dundee, as there didn't seem to be a lot of people staying there, but the one in Fort William was very busy.) The internet, as mentioned, was especially slow in Fort William. One day I paid the 5 pounds to upgrade, and it was still very slow; plus I got logged out every single time I left the room or shut my laptop, and sometimes it was hard to get reconnected. (I'm a travel blogger, so I needed internet.) In Dundee, the standard internet was adequate. They don't allow check-in before 3pm, even if they have a room available, unless you pay 10 pounds. (Though there was no problem storing luggage.) In Dundee it seemed like they never vacuumed under the bed. There was some trash under the bed. They won't clean your room each night unless you let them know each morning you would like it cleaned. Bathtub is very deep, hard to step into and out of, and if you want to take a shower, it's important to hold on or you could easily slip and fall.

On the plus side: the single rooms were quite large, with an extra daybed, so lots of room to spread out. And the breakfast at the adjacent restaurant was good (also identical at the two locations). Plenty of hot water and good water flow in the shower.

Posted by
1117 posts

Reliable, clean, cheap when booked well in advance. Use them all the time all over the UK. In Scotland I've stayed in Glasgow (centre), Inverness (west and the one near Raigmore hospital), Stirling south, and Fort William (a hidden gem!).

If you've snagged a good rate and want faster wifi it's worth the extra £5, although I agree with Mardee that they'd be better just increasing the room rate by £5 across the board and offering decent wifi.

Posted by
1644 posts

To quote a family member at the Premier Inn in Fort William "are we walking back to Inverness?"

Posted by
6318 posts

Bathtub is very deep, hard to step into and out of...

Lane, in all fairness, I found that was true of just about every place I stayed that had a bathtub. I actually preferred it because I love baths and the idea of sinking down into this deep tub was pretty awesome. 😊 It did require a bit of manipulation but it was worth it to me.

Posted by
15007 posts

The good thing about the long hallway at the Fort William Premiere Inn is you'll get your ten thousand steps in before breakfast.

But it's really convenient for the bus and train stations.

Posted by
1117 posts

British baths are certainly deeper in general than American ones. I'm not sure why that is, as it's certainly easier to slip while getting in and out of a British one!

Posted by
6318 posts

British baths are certainly deeper in general than American ones.

They're longer, too. I could stretch out flat to my full length and then some - that would never happen in a bathtub in the states.

Posted by
1644 posts

A nice proper soak, relaxed in the bubble bath reading a good book whilst being stared at by a rubber duck.

The fun is getting out when you get a full upper body workout backwards whilst there is nothing for your feet to get purchase on.

Bliss

Posted by
2945 posts

I agree with Lane. There are so many wonderful B&Bs with character and reasonable costs. Premier Inn felt like a Super 8 Motel in Peoria.

Posted by
1376 posts

Hi, Big Mike,

I've stayed in B&Bs and guest houses all over Scotland for the last 50 years. Some of them have been wonderful; some not so much. But after a long day of hiking or tramping about the city, sometimes all you want is a hot shower, a comfy bed, a cuppa, and BBC ALBA on the telly. So if there is a choice, and the PI is less dear, I'm going to go with the PI.

All things considered, what you're really paying for is a place to sleep. Much as I believe in supporting the B&B cottage industry, I'll still go with a PI if I'm close to a city, and if the cost is comparable.

Now Travelodge, that is another story!

Rest easy!

Somewhat Smaller Mike (Auchterless)!

Posted by
4140 posts

The issue with the PI tubs is twofold - The depth of a tub is determined by the height of the front wall that faces into the room . The higher it is , the capacity of water , being greater , the tub feels deeper . Tubs like this in the States are called soaking tubs . With the higher front lip it makes getting in and out more difficult . One other feature exacerbates this problem . Instead of the floor of the tub being at the same level as the floor of the room , the floor of the tub is six to eight inches higher . So , stepping in also requires a step up into the tub . Worse , is getting out where stepping down to the room floor imparts a more pronounced feeling of insecurity for where your foot lands . I've stayed in many PI's on my trips to the UK , and noticed this from the start .

Posted by
15007 posts

I'm the opposite of many. I would prefer to stay in a Premiere Inn than a B & B. After a long day, I need to know I will get good rest. With Premiere Inn, I get a very comfortable bed, a quiet room, hot water and semi decent Wi-Fi. I've stayed in B & B's where some of those things didn't exist. For those who prefer charm, more power to you. Give me the guaranteed rest and relaxation.

Posted by
1644 posts

Premier Inn you I ow what you are getting.and that is often great. I use the French chains in France.for the same reason. Plenty of B&Be beat Premier Inn on most metrics, but occasionally.you get a B&B where the vibe is really suboptimal.

Posted by
2945 posts

I was talking with Mary and we agreed that amongst our best memories were the B&Bs and other non-chain establishments with personality and not cookie-cutters. One of the reason we travel is to get away from the same old thing and "you-know-what-you're going to get," which to me is antithetical while traveling. I can stay at the Days Inn in Scranton and I'll know what I'm getting.

Mike, what has been special for us would be the B&B hosts and chatting with them for a bit while eating, imo, a more authentic breakfast. Also, such settings are conducive to not only talking with the owners, but other guests about where they've been and their plans for the day. It's more of a natural and less sterile experience.

Respectfully to each their own, of course. On a peripheral note I'm reminded of the cookie-cutter houses in the U.S. that to me have no soul.

Posted by
6318 posts

I would agree - sometimes charm is nice, but I've stayed in some very charming B&Bs with lumpy beds and crappy showers.

Case in point - when I went to Copenhagen, I was drawn in by a quirky hotel near the train station that looked very unique and fun. It advertised itself as a "bohemian" place and it looked wonderful. However, in reality, the room was horrible to stay in. Nothing dirty - it was clean but the bohemian look came from strategically placed beads and "art pieces" that kept hitting me in the face wherever I walked. To get a towel required removing a long string of shells and beds decoratively arranged over the towel rack. The room was so crammed with all the bohemian artsy stuff that I had no room to put my suitcase, laptop and other stuff. I had a miserable stay there.

Besides Premier Inn, I also like the Motel One chain for good, consistent stays. They can be a little pricier than Premier Inns but you are pretty much guaranteed a clean comfortable room with plenty of towels and other amenities.

Bottom line: No one likes surprises when it comes to a good night's sleep.

Posted by
199 posts

Very glad to hear all this, as I have several nights planned for PIs. Decent air/bed trumps a musty, tiny charmer at my age.