Please sign in to post.

Possible to do half the NC 500?

Hi all!

I am heading to Scotland in September and was wondering if it's possible/recommended to do half of the NC 500 route? It looks beautiful but we are short on time (we have about 4 days). I've seen quite a few itineraries that squeeze the entire route into 3-4 days but they require long days of driving and don't leave much time to get out and explore. I was thinking of planning for half the circuit but I have not seen much out there in terms of if this can be done, which are the best sections if you have to choose only some, etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Posted by
30 posts

Yes, you can do sections or half. You need to get a map or even look at Google maps. You just need to choose your priorities. There are lots of NC500 websites, books and advice. There's even specific NC500 maps. Check some of those out. The whole area is beautiful, designated route or not. To do a smaller section you will probably end up doing a loop out and back.

One thing: Make sure you go watch some of the YouTube videos on how to properly drive and pass on the single track roads. Hint: the wide spots aren't for parking, they're for passing.

If you have less time you need to choose the sections that are more adjacent to the rest of your itinerary. If you're going to be in Inverness, going up the east coast is the easiest rather than crossing the whole country to do a day trip to the NW corner. If you're on Skye, then doing a section on the west might make more sense. The famous hairpin turn hill route is on the west, north of Skye. If driving that is the main goal then you should site yourself appropriately. If beautiful coast, places to stop and enjoy are more your priority, you will have more flexibility on how to put this together.

Also, there aren't a lot of spots to turn around easily and some attraction signs are small or very close to the turn off-and there may be only one entrance-so pay attention if there are sites you are wanting to stop and explore.

Posted by
1858 posts

The NC 500 has been a very successful marketing concept, since it was first launched in 2015. All of it is scenic and you DON’T HAVE to drive all of it . However there are limited roads in that part of the country so you will need to look at a map of Scotland and plan a suitably shortened route, having decided where you want to start from.

Have a look at this website which gives ideas of circular scenic drives in Scotland.

Basing yourself in the Fort William area, you have lots of choice of really good scenic drives. Check out Oban and Inverary, Oban and Glen Coe, Fort William and Ardnmurchan Fort William and Skye .

Alternatively base yourself around Gairloch or Poolewe and consider the Applecross and Torridon loop and the Gairloch and Poolewe one.