Please sign in to post.

Orkney question

How much time does one need to explore from Maeshowe to Skara Brae stopping at most of the sights along the way such as Stenness Stones and Ring of Brodgar? Thanks!

Posted by
13946 posts

I did that this summer on a small group tour. We did it over 2 days. You'll need timed entries for both Maeshowe and Skara Brae. We wound up at Skara Brae on a day when cruise ships were in port which made for more crowds.

There is a very small museum at the Maeshowe VC but mostly it's just a place to wait for the shuttle to take you to the parking area where the guided tour starts.

Skara Brae has a bigger museum but as mentioned we were there on a cruise ship day and it was so jammed I went in and left immediately. You will also be able to go thru the Skaill House after you tour around the really impressive Skara Brae excavations. They also have a nice cafe in case you need lunch or a snack. Also bathrooms here.

Ring of Brodgar - I'd think would take an hour or so to walk from the parking area across the road to the Ring, circle around it and go back to the lot. If there is a Ranger on duty, stop to talk with them. We had an off duty ranger with our tour for the day and he was marvelous!

The Stones of Stenness - Another hour or so to see the stones, shoo away the sheep so you can get pictures, walk a little way to the Barnhouse Settlement and back to the parking lot.

You could do it in a full day depending on the timings of your entries to Maeshowe and Skara Brae.

There is also another smaller chambered cairn near Maeshowe that you can visit, Unstan Chambered Cairn. There is no charge to enter this small site and it is a bit different as it is a stalled cairn. You do have to get down on your hands and knees to crawl into this one. It's not far in - maybe 12 feet or so and quite open once inside. The day we were there people just took turns going inside due to the size. This would not take longer than 15-20 minutes to see.

https://www.historicenvironment.scot/visit-a-place/places/unstan-chambered-cairn/

Editing to add: Here is a link to my Trip Report from August. Depending on when you are going it may give you some info about what kind of outerwear you'll need. I saw your older thread asking about waterproof jackets. DEFINITELY needed waterproof jackets AND pants for Orkney.

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/trip-reports/seymour-travels-scottish-island-tour-orkney-and-shetland