Please sign in to post.

Orkney in fall 2023

My wife and I are gathering informatiom for a trip to Orkney and possibly Shetland. We like to travel in the off-season. We are looking at 5-7 days on Orkney and maybe the same on Shetland. Would a mid-October visit be too late in the tourist season to be able to book lodging and find places open to eat? What would the "best" time in my fellow traveler's opinon? Or would this trip be better planned for the spring, April/May?
We would appreciate any recommendations on lodging and dining in Orkney and Shetland.
Thank You!

Posted by
5758 posts

In Shetland by mid October the weather and the nights are both starting to close in. Also on the out islands much of the accommodation will have closed as the season will have ended by then, but in Lerwick most places stay open all year. The same applies for places to eat- Lerwick is open, most other places outside Lerwick have closed.
The vast majority of the tourist attractions close at the end of September.
It is certainly a time of the year to base in Lerwick.
I would strongly recommend leaving Shetland until the spring. Everything is opening up then, the weather is going to be far better (although on a mid Atlantic island that far north, nothing is certain), and much, much longer days. Also you have the birdlife around- Noss and Mousa will be open- they certainly close in September.
I always stay at the Fort Charlotte Guest House in Lerwick- it is just changing hands this year, so is not currently open but should be later in the summer.
Orkney doesn't close down in quite the same way but the same general thoughts about wildlife, weather and daylight still apply.
So as a trip do it in the spring. May, rather than April.

Posted by
1644 posts

Adding to the point that a lot of places will be closing in October for the season, it should be remembered that Orkney and Shetland are quite far north. It is noticeable here in October as the days shorten, it is even more so in Orkney, the length of daylight drops two hours in Kirkwall in October. The extending hours in spring may be more pleasant.

Posted by
1835 posts

I'd also leave the visit until the spring. Plan on May rather than April as it will be warmer, there will be longer hours of daylight and you will also get the spring flowers. As I was once told when we planned a visit to Shetland in April 'you do realise it could still be winter then?'

Posted by
1019 posts

Been twice to Shetland , once to Orkney. Both in June. Perfect time for us. Just went last June 2022.

Posted by
3122 posts

I will chime in to say I follow a Facebook group for Orkney and have been envious of the snowdrops, crocuses, and even some daffodils in February -- rivaling and even beating out the schedule of early blooms here in Connecticut.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks to everyone for the replys. Looks like a late spring trip possibility.