Please sign in to post.

No train tickets showing from EDI to London Kings Cross ( or anywhere London) Sept 23. 2023

Hello, I cant figure out when these tickets for Saturday will come up 9/23/23. Can anyone help me and my wife are trying to figure out how to get from edi to london for our honeymoon after spending a few days. Thanks!

Posted by
2602 posts

I just bought a ticket yesterday from Edinburgh to London King’s Cross on 9/20, with seat reservation it was £63. Are you using the official LNER website?

Posted by
9 posts

Yeah lner website, looks like week days are showing but not the weekends really when we would be traveling from edi to london

Posted by
15016 posts

You have to be patient. Weekends have planned engineering works and the train companies wait to hear this before releasing the schedules.

You can try dummy bookings the weekends prior to see how far in advance they release the schedule.

Posted by
9 posts

So you just have to hope there is no engineering work on that day? What happens if there is, is there other routes or train lines? Thanks!

Posted by
15016 posts

There are other routes and for the portion disrupted there will be replacement busses.

Posted by
9 posts

Sorry is newcastle london? So basically I have no option for train that day only bus?

Posted by
1835 posts

is newcastle london?

No, LNER runs from Edinburgh through Newcastle on the way to London. What ramblin' on means is that theere are engineering works on the line somewhere between Edinburgh and Newcastle so there are no trains but a replacement bus service.

Posted by
501 posts

Sorry is newcastle london? So basically I have no option for train that day only bus?

If you look on a map, you’ll see Newcastle is right up in the NE of England, not too far from Edinburgh. There’ll likely be a train from London Kings Cross to Newcastle and they’ll put on a bus from Newcastle to take you to Edinburgh, in a through ticket. But the timetables won’t be released until they’ve worked out the revised schedule.

Engineering and maintenance work almost always takes place at weekends because they’re so much less busy than weekdays.

sorry, I realise you’re coming Edinburgh to London, so read my post in the opposite direction! Likely it’ll be a bus from Edinburgh to Newcastle then train.

Posted by
9 posts

Okay so basically its still okay to hold tight, and wait for the tickets through lner to be released, and it will allow me to select a time for 9/23/23 that would be a train ticket but the route would include a bus and train ticket, lner bus from edi to newcastle and then the lner train from newcastle to london? This screw up my whole trip in many locations not just in london but in paris. If I cant figure out how to get to london by2pm on 9.23.23

Posted by
4862 posts

Im guessing from your previous post that you have already purchased Eurostar tickets for Paris that day. That being the case, you might want to fly down instead. There are morning flights that would get you into London in plenty of time, then train or tube to St Pancras. It sounds like you are quite upset. Take a deep breath and just work the problem instead of fighting it. Not being able to roll with the punches doesn't make for a pleasant experience. As the Brits say- keep calm and carry on.

Posted by
5519 posts

What is your ultimate destination on Sept 23rd? What tickets or reservations do you already have for that day?

People may be able to suggest alternate arrangements.

Posted by
501 posts

I would never try to get from Edinburgh to London for 2pm if the reason I need to be there at 2pm is really crucial. I’d go down the night before. Is that possible for you? Even if the trains are running normally it’d be tight, and with a rail replacement bus you’d have to expect the journey to take longer than the usual 4.5 hours.

Posted by
9 posts

So timeline is looking like this, I may have misspoke and I apologize!

We arrive from US to EDI on Sep 20, we have a hotel in London on the Sat 23rd

So we were going to train in from EDI to London and arrive maybe 2-3pm..

Then were going to checkin to our hotel and then like 5-6 days later we have a ticket from london to paris already booked/ hotel already booked.

So due to the hotels and train being already booked for london/paris and EDI location we want to avoid leaving a day early or a day late. So we would like to figure out away to get to location in london by latest 3-4pm as we have other reservations for that day. I am trying to look into fights now as well. Does anyone know prices/route to get from Torphichen Street, Edinburgh, United Kingdom (the), EH3 8JB to EDI airport on 9/23/23 morning and then also I see there is a flight from edi 655am departure to london, would we need to be at edi airport by 530am is that safe? or earlier...

Thanks! Happy to clear anything up this is greatly appreciated!

Posted by
4862 posts

For a trip that early, just take a taxi. I don't think the bus or tram will run that early.

Posted by
911 posts

I see there is a flight from edi 655am departure to london, would we need to be at edi airport by 530am is that safe?

Is there a reason you want to be in London by 8:30 AM? There are many nonstop flights from EDI to LHR, LGW etc that leave later in the day with time to check into your hotel by 2:00 PM.

Posted by
13946 posts

So we would like to figure out away to get to location in london by latest 3-4pm as we have other reservations for that day.

Have you already paid for whatever event you are planning for your arrivals day in London? I think you are adding stress to yourself by planning things too tightly.

Hopefully you’ve not got things planned for your arrival night in Paris that can’t be changed or canceled. I’m NOT trying to burst your bubble but sometimes the Eurostar can run late.

I do realize this is unasked for advice but I’d love it if you enjoyed your honeymoon!! Congrats, by the way!

Posted by
81 posts

As already said weekends are prime engineering time - and the picture will emerge nearer the time. Although little use if you have switched to a flight by then!

There is an airlink bus in Edinburgh through the night. At the time you need it they will be departing Haymarket station at 0431, 0436, 0439, 0447, 0455, 0503 so loads of options

Posted by
5763 posts

This is probably after the event now for mg.

However for the benefit of others the engineering work is between Berwick on Tweed and Newcastle.

The times and tickets are due to be released this weekend. But briefly trains are running from Edinburgh to Berwick on Cross Country Lumo and LNER, then from Newcastle south on all 4 operators.
In addition LNER are running a through service broadly every two hours between Edinburgh and Kings Cross via Carlisle (passenger stop) and Hexham (non stop) adding around 90 minutes to the journey time.

As it happens the first of those trains departs Edinburgh at 0730, and arrives at Kings Cross at 1345, which would have suited mg.

There is also an 0700 Lumo train from Edinburgh to Berwick, for bus forward, the train connection from Newcastle arrives at Kings Cross at about 1330.

There is also an Avanti train from Edinburgh to London Euston at 0652, arriving at 1pm.

Currently it appears that only half the bus replacement service from Berwick is in the system- the xx.55 XC buses, scheduled to take 95 minutes. There 'should' be other buses yet to appear at around xx.35.

So mg would have had a choice of 3 ways to reach London by 2pm by rail.

In the past there have been times when LNER and Avanti trains to London KC and Euston respectively have been at Carlisle at the same time!!