Please sign in to post.

My trip to Scotland in 2023

Hello
I had to postponed my trip to Scotland next year, starting in may, 2 adults
I've already booked in Glencoe and Portree
Two questions:
What do you recommand as accomodation in Gairloch
I plan to rent either a vauxhall crossland or Peugeot 3008. I've got the best price from sixt versus Arnold or Avis, didn't check with other companies. What do you suggest?

Thanks a lot
Louis

1 24 M Bruxelles Edinbourg
2 25 J Edinbourg Edinbourg
3 26 V Edinbourg Balmaha
4 27 S Balmaha Glencoe
5 28 D Glencoe Glencoe
6 29 L Glencoe Glencoe
7 30 M Glencoe Portree
8 31 M Portree Portree
9 1 J Portree Portree
10 2 V Portree Portree
11 3 S Portree Gairloch
12 4 D Gairloch Gairloch
13 5 L Gairloch Lochinver
14 6 M Lochinver Lochinver
15 7 M Lochinver Durness
16 8 J Durness Durness
17 9 V Durness Fort Augustus
18 10 S Fort Augustus Edinbourg

Posted by
8375 posts

Looks like a fun trip. Just so you will know going forward it is “Edinburgh”

What are your special interests or goals for your trip?

Posted by
436 posts

Looks a great itinerary. Loved the journey from Glencoe up to Gairloch (and beyond). Can't help with accommodation unfortunately. We slept in our van on a beach just out of Poolewe. Had a good feed at the Poolewe pub.

Posted by
1376 posts

Hello, Louis,

For Gairloch, you could check out the Rua Reidh lighthouse, which is just a bit west of the village. We stayed there about six years ago. The accommodation was wonderful. Unfortunately, the owners weren't! The lighthouse is now under new ownership, and they have been receiving excellent reviews on Trip Advisor. It's certainly a unique location.

Your holiday looks to be very well planned, and you've given yourselves enough time in each location.

Enjoy Scotland!

Mike (Auchterless)

Posted by
1834 posts

I've just been checking reviews for Sixt on Trust Pilot and Yelp there are a lot of negative ones... Arnold Clarke may be more expensive but does have a much better reputation. It is the company that is recommended on Trip Advisor.

Posted by
23 posts

Hello
Thank you for your answer and sorry for the misspelling
I’m fond of nature and wildlife, I’m a rather good photographer and I guess that’s just where I have to go, haven’t I?
Thank you for th accommodation in Gairloch and for the car advice. Di you think a Vauxhall crossland is good for 2 adults

Posted by
1376 posts

Hello again, Louis,

The Crossland would definitely be large enough for two adults plus luggage. It's more like a small SUV or minivan (people carrier) than a sedan. I've rented from AVIS the last few times in Scotland, and I've never had any problems. (Well, except for this year, when they gave me a car that was one litre low in motor oil. I added it myself, kept the receipt and the container, and they reimbursed me at the end of the rental.)

Best wishes for your travels!

Mike (Auchterless)

Posted by
6312 posts

Um, I'm confused - what do the numbers and letters mean in front of the places? I'm trying to wrap my head around it but my brain does not seem to be working.

Posted by
436 posts

The date of the month and the day remembering OP is not English first language.
Lundi.
Mardi.
Mercredi.
Jeudi.
Vendredi.
Samedi.
Dimanche.
Apologies Louis if my spelling is wrong as I am pretty poorly educated (didn't make it through high school).

You will have amazing photography opportunities during this journey.

Posted by
23 posts

Thanks to all of you. I look forward to visiting your beautiful country.
First column, just the number of day, my trip’s gonna last 18 days.
Second column, the date in may then june
Third column the day of the week
All in french

Posted by
23 posts

Wildlife
I plan two boat trips:
- one on skye island with Stardust Boat Trips : Skye Whale Trail
- one in Gairloch with Hebridean Whale Cruises : Ultimate Orca
One in Tarbet to visit Handa Island
Is there anything I miss?

Is the "wee mad road" really difficult to drive?

How is the cellular reception espacially in the coigach peninsula?
Is it possible to rent a satellite phone?

Louis

Posted by
6312 posts

Oh, that makes sense ! I know German but my French is limited to a few words. Thanks for the clarification!

So you will be getting to Scotland about when I am leaving. I will arrive on May 4th and leave on May 26th. I'm sure you will have a wonderful trip!

Posted by
1376 posts

Hello once again, Louis,

I haven't done the whale watching trips from Gairloch or Skye, but I have done Handa Island. That is a wonderful excursion, and you're sure to enjoy it. After you return to Tarbet, the Shorehouse Restaurant is an excellent spot for a meal. Very nice owners, and very good food.

As you're going to be on Skye for a few days, you may want to consider a day trip to St. Kilda. There is a tour company which organizes trips from Uig. It is a full day - probably about 12 hours - but it's an opportunity not to be missed, if you can fit it in to your schedule. I went out to St. Kilda a few years ago with Kilda Cruises (Leverburgh). It was one of those once in a lifetime experiences. I'm hoping to get to Rockall one of these days!

Very best wishes for your travels!

Mike (Auchterless)

p.s.: The "wee mad road" is not difficult to drive. I've done it several times in the past - once at night (not recommended!). It's like any of those single track roads in the NW Highlands - just be aware of your surroundings, and especially watch for passing places, both in front of you and behind you.

Posted by
436 posts

"Wee mad road"? Bealach na Ba (spelling?)
Drove that in our Tarago "Spaceship" camper. Great bit of road with great views, a piece of cake on a nice day, probably easier than England's Hardknott Pass.
I had planned to visit St Kilda in May 2020 but of course old mate covid ruined those plans.

Posted by
23 posts

Hello
Two different roads: one is close to Lochinver and the other one near applecross