Please sign in to post.

music festival in Edinburgh last weekend of August 2023

For anyone familiar with Edinburgh and this annual event, how crowded will it be? We fly in on the 25th and then plan to take a train to Glasgow on the 26, so would need lodging for the night of the 25th, plus the train out on the 26th.

Posted by
501 posts

Edinburgh has a whole spate of festivals on August. The Fringe is the biggest, and it’s - well, it’s the biggest arts festival in the world - music , theatre, comedy, dance, everything. There is also the International Festival proper (mostly classical music and drama) and the Edinburgh Tattoo (very popular on this forum).

The Fringe finishes on 28th August in 2023 and frankly the whole city is heaving during this time. Thousands of acts and performers and tourists flock to the city. Hotel prices usually triple during August. The Royal Mile becomes almost impassable at times due to street performers and people flyering for their shows.

If you’re aware of it and ready for it, it’s the best fun in the world. But if you head to Edinburgh thinking it’s just a music festival, you will get a massive shock to the system.

Hope that helps!

PS: some photos here will give you a sense of the crowds. https://www.edinburghfestivalcity.com/festivals/edinburgh-festival-fringe

Posted by
6418 posts

Edinburgh is of course a lovely city to stay in. But there is no need to stay there before going to Glasgow unless you arrive very late. There are direct buses from Edinburgh Airport that take you to Glasgow in less than an hour.

Posted by
4759 posts

Golden Girl,
I agree, The Fringe IS the best fun in the World! Until I return......

Posted by
5831 posts

Personally I think you are better off keeping to Glasgow for your overnight on price and less crowded grounds. The direct bus from Edinburgh Airport runs 24/7.

Every half hour you can catch a train from Edinburgh Waverley, Haymarket or Edinburgh Park (for tram connections from the Airport) to Milngavie for the WHW with one change at Partick (in the western suburbs of Glasgow) taking around 1 hour 45 minutes. If you decide that you want to stay in Edinburgh.