Please sign in to post.

Most Scenic Route Isle of Skye to Inverness northern route 890/A832 or southern A87?

We have 5 days in Scotland. Have the first 3 days traveling from Edinburg around Loch Lomand through Glencoe and Isle of Skye. The next day want to head towards Inverness with quick stop to photograph Loch Ness. We love scenery, hiking, etc. Is it worth taking the slightly longer northern route? I’m looking to see which route is prettiest. Then, I’m thinking of taking photos at Urquhart Castle. Is it worth the trip to the castle ruins for photos? Or should I just take photos near Inverness? After Inverness have another day to head back to Edinburg to fill and looking for more suggestions. Maybe a whiskey tour and a couple of castles. Or the reindeer place?

Thanks for any help!

Posted by
1127 posts

The nortern route doesn't take you to Loch Ness. The more scenic side of the loch is the eastern side, which you can access from Fort Augustus or coming south from Inverness via Foyers. Personally, I like Urquhart Castle, so I'd say yes it's worth it.

For getting to Edinburgh (don't forget the h at the end - it's pronounced Edin-br by the way) you would head south on the A9 before picking up the motorway at Perth. You could stop at Bruar where there's a castle and also some nice waterfalls (behind House of Bruar - which is a large Highland department store also worth a look). There's a good distillery at Dalwhinnie - but don't forget to ask for the 'driver's dram' to take away with you as drink driving laws in Scotland are tough - basically you cannot drive any alcohol and be sure that you are safe to drive. You'd need to book a tour ahead of time. There's also Blair Atholl Distillery at Pitlochry.

Posted by
16 posts

Skye girl -Thank you very much for the detailed reply. You have given me lots to think about.

Have you driven either of these roads from Skye to Inverness? I know the northern route doesn’t go to Loch Ness, but I can get to it once in Inverness. Just wondering if the northern route is much more photogenic than the southern route? If not, I’ll take the more direct southern route. Thanks.

Posted by
1646 posts

The A890 is IME quite a scenic route, but narrow and twisty in places. The railway from Kyle to Inverness mirrors it, so this might give some idea of the route.

The A90 is on the otherside of the country all together being the main road that links Edinburgh to Aberdeen via Perth, Dundee, and Stonehaven,

Posted by
16 posts

Mcglasgow - I need to learn how to tag people! Thank you so much! I didn’t have my glasses on and though I saw a-90 on the map but missed the 8 in front of it. I’ll fix my mistake. Again thank you for your time!

I definitely think the northern route along the train tracks sounds amazing! With only 5 days I have to decided if the extra time involved is worth it. I’m almost in tears with every picture I see of Scotland. It’s is all just so beautiful. It’s my dream come true.

Posted by
1127 posts

Yes I live on Skye and have regularly driven both routes. From choice I would take the northern route. It's usually quicker which is my main reason (due to lack of tourist traffic!). But I have to say it's very scenic to my mind - lots of bleak mountain landscapes and a some good sea loch views as you climb over the hill road towards Loch Carron.

Posted by
16 posts

Skyegirl- Thanks again! Northern route it is! Do you have any suggestions for a day returning from Inverness to Edinburg? Want to stop at Culloden Battlefield and Clava Cairns and not really anything g else in Inverness, then maybe a distillery and a castle or two (Maybe just to drive by and take a photo). We don’t mind having a 15 hour day! Any suggestions?

Posted by
1127 posts

yes - suggestions for Inverness to Edinburgh in my earlier reply. Dalwhinnie distillery and then House of Bruar and the falls of Bruar and Blair Atholl castle nearby.

Posted by
16 posts

I must seem totally daft! Of course you answered me before. My head is spinning with all the planning. Thanks again