Please sign in to post.

London to Glasgow via Train - Town to Stay in Overnight Along the Way

After a nonstop flight from Seattle, USA to London Heathrow, I am planning to jump on a train to go to Glasgow to start my RSE Best of Scotland in 13 Days tour. I am hoping to stop midway on the train to stay overnight in a town or city close to the train station that will give me some local flavor, good restaurants/pubs/bars, and a walkable charming atmosphere full of friendly folks. Any recommendations? I'd prefer the town or city to be about half way between the London and Glasgow just to break up the train ride after an already long travel day, but am open to suggestions.
I've also got the same questions for when I'm heading back to London from Edinburgh.
TIY!

Posted by
265 posts

York is half way between London and Edinburgh. From Edinburgh it’s a short trip to Glasgow.

You will need to get to Kings Cross station to pick up a York train.

Trains to Glasgow leave from London Euston and call at Lancaster and Penrith.

Posted by
7214 posts

Lancaster is more or less half way. It is a city rather than a town, but a lot of interest there. its walkable for where the tourist will be going- 230 of the 402 miles.- 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 hours from London

Kendal would definitely suit you- one stop on the Windermere branch line or a quick bus ride from Oxenholme. Another 20 minute from Lancaster.

And Penrith ticks every box, a short walk down the hill from the railway station- 280 of the 402 miles so maybe too far north. 45 minutes on from Lancaster.