Please sign in to post.

London to Edinburgh

I am planning an itinerary driving from London to Edinburgh (roundtrip possibly ending in Hertfordshire) and staying in Edinburgh for 2 nights - stopping along the way. What is the best most scenic route with things to do and see both ways. Wondering how many overnights along the way. Traveling with 2 elderly parents who are quite physically able.
thanks

Posted by
3122 posts

If your number of overnights along the way is unlimited, I can think of a few dozen places that would be nice... (just kidding).

Seriously, the most direct route is up the M1, so you could easily spend your first night in York. Allow several hours next morning to see some of York's sights, then drive onward to Durham. Spend your second night there, see some of Durham and then head west to Hadrian's Wall the following morning. After the wall, drive to Edinburgh and arrive by evening.

Posted by
6113 posts

It would be more helpful if you stated how many nights you have, as it’s no use us suggesting a 10 day itinerary if you only have 2 days!

Two nights in Edinburgh means only one full day there and it’s a long drive for so little time there. If you only have a few days, then taking the train would be a far better option, with breaks in York and Durham. The M1 or A1 are the quickest driving options, but they are dull routes.

The countryside gets more interesting north of York, so I would be tempted to take the train there then hire a car. Travel via the Yorkshire Dales or Whitby to Durham then stay on the Northumberland coast and visit Holy Island before heading to Edinburgh.