Please sign in to post.

London to Edinburgh by train or plane?

Hi, I'm new here, so I apologize if this question has already been asked. We are traveling from London to Edinburgh and I'm not sure if I should book a train or if we should fly. I thought it made sense time-wise to fly, but it looks like you have to pay a lot extra for luggage unless it's very small. We have carry-ons, but not the size required by Ryan Air. So, now I'm thinking a fast train would be best, but it seems like there are a lot of different trains that travel to Edinburgh and I'm not sure which company to book. Appreciate any information.

Posted by
605 posts

Really depends are where you are in London and where you want to go in Edinburgh. If you near the King's Cross Station, you can get the LNER for a 4:29 hour trip. I think that might beat RyanAir when you consider the security madhouse at the airports and the frequency of the trains (about every 30 minutes). Of course the strikes are not helping. The train can be pretty scenic and relaxing. Ryanair is painful if you fail to advance book your luggage.

I just use Google Maps and ask for directions via public transport, and explore the departure times for the fast train. There are choices besides Ryanair (British Air, for one) though more expense but more frequent.

Posted by
5742 posts

By the time you've gone to the airport, gone through all procedures, flight time and then transit time into Edinburgh from the airport, there is scant time advantage.
Add on baggage fees, and travel costs to/from the airports and train will always be cheaper and a better overall experience.
(You should be able to fly Easy Jet and BA also from London to Edinburgh).
Trains- it's a choice of 3- LNER and Lumo- both up the East Coast; Avanti up the West Coast.
LNER are every 30 minutes, LUMO every 2 or 3 hours. Both (from Kings Cross) are as fast as each other. Lumo is sometimes that bit cheaper and can be a touch faster. Not being flippant, toss a coin.
On Avanti (from Euston) most Edinburgh trains run via Birmingham so are an hour or slower than LNER/Lumo. Arguably more comfortable trains. LNER and Avanti have 'buy on board' catering. Lumo have pre-ordered catering only.

Posted by
7357 posts

If you were already at a London airport, and continuing on to Edinburgh, then going by a connecting plane is the way to go.

But once you’re in downtown London, go by train.

It’s been a long time since I’ve done that, though, and others here (like isn31c , above) will have details on which train and which rail company. Enjoy Edinburgh!

Posted by
1834 posts

Another vote for going by train.

As well as the trains highlighted by isn31c, there is also a sleeper service between Edinburgh and London, which takes you to Euston rather than Kings Cross station.

Posted by
32747 posts

when you add in the all the airport fun the train will win for time or really really close and be tons more fun and easier and comfortable.

Posted by
2945 posts

I was just going to add that going by train will provide views of the countryside, which imo is absolutely beautiful. Also perhaps towns and so forth.

Posted by
6377 posts

London to Edinburgh is a bit short for a night train in my opinion, but for those with other opinions it can be a good option. And as many other have said, take the train. Flying will not save more than maybe 20 minutes. The train on the other hand will be a much nicer trip.