Please sign in to post.

London to Edinburgh

We are travelling from London to Edinburgh in February.

Are we better off taking a fast train or should we fly? While the flight time is shorter, my guess is the overall elapsed time might be close to the same, from London hotel to Edinburgh apartment.

Any tips!

Thanks.

Posted by
288 posts

Bought tickets for our travel next week from London to Edinburgh on the train. Travel time from Euston Station to Edinburgh was about 4:45 and with an early ticket purchase was 105 GBP for family of 4 one way (3 adults and 1 child). I think it would definitely be less time than getting from the city out to an airport, checking in early, security, flying, then back from Edinburgh airport into the city. Plus you have to figure transport cost to and from the airports.

Posted by
357 posts

City center to city center via train beats flying in this case.

Posted by
419 posts

We took the train from Edinburgh to London and really enjoyed it.

Posted by
9460 posts

Train for sure. So much less hassle, and more "adventurous" for us North Americans!

Posted by
2636 posts

train for me too,city centre to city centre, plenty of room,nice scenery on most of the route, drinks and food available or take stuff with you, great M&S simple food in the train station .On some trains you can upgrade to first class for a reasonable fee.

Posted by
123 posts

Sorry folks, to disagree, sort of...
Currently in Edinburgh. Flew in direct flight from USA a few days ago. Used tram from airport. Tram goes almost anywhere in Edinburgh (@£8.50 round trip); a breeze! Would never come into Edinburgh any other way. The trains are convenient; unless you are hauling a boatload of luggage that you love lugging through a station and over the hills of Edinburgh. Long treks to accomodations dragging luggage is a consideration. Have seen so many tormented tourists dragging suitcases here. Tram much much easier, many frequent stops.
Just a thought from someone currently here.

Posted by
2636 posts

Are you sure you were in Edinburgh the way you talk about the trams,we have one route it goes from the Airport to York place,cost us £750 million, should have cost £420 million, only goes about half the route it should have.It only goes to a fraction of the places it should have and is really a replacment of part of the 22 bus route.
Tram is fine if you are staying close to one of the stops but useless for everything else. My nearest tram stop in only 3 miles from my house.

Posted by
11 posts

Thanks to all for the advice.

I just booked us on the Virgin East Coast line London to Edinburgh and back for five adults in February.

Selected seats as well. Pretty easy to do, and less only about $465 US for all of us round trip.

Posted by
1 posts

We are traveling from London to Edinburgh on Christmas Day 2017 and was not aware that the public transportation is not available. What is the best route to drive and/or other options you can suggest.

Posted by
8889 posts

Nihal, the best advice is don't travel anywhere on Christmas Day 25th December), and avoid 24th and 26th if at all possible.
The main road from London to Edinburgh is the AI or M1. This is 400 miles (640 Km) and takes 7-8 hours on a good day. There are currently less than 8 hours daylight in the UK, so part of the drive will be in darkness.

Road conditions are currently like this: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-42305301
Many roads are closed.

Posted by
8889 posts

P.S. Nihal. Any transport between about 20th December and 2nd January will be busy. If you haven't bought a ticket and reserved your seat by now, it may be very difficult to find a seat.

Make sure you have somewhere to eat on 25th December. Most restauarnts will be closed or reservations only.