Please sign in to post.

Kilmartin Glen

Flagged up on the BBC travel news recently, this is only just beginning to appear on the tourist horizon, although it is possibly one of the best prehistoric sites in Britain. There are over 350 ancient sitres including standing stones, a henge monument, numerous burial cairns and much more within a short distance of each other. It's about 30 miles south of Oban so fits in well with most itineraries. It is definitley worth adding.

Posted by
7565 posts

wasleys, I had that on my list of places to stop when I was first planning my drive to Oban from Arran. But that was during the great Calmak debacle, when they were moving ferries all over and canceling trips. My mid-afternoon ferry was cancelled and I had to rush to get there for an earlier one, or risk not getting there until nightfall. I was very sad that I had to miss that area.

Posted by
89 posts

We very much enjoyed our visit to Kilmartin last year. We originally headed down that way to look for beavers at the Argyll Beaver Centre and were amazed at the wealth of prehistoric sites in the area. With few tourists and no restrictions on access.

One of our favourite few days in Scotland. The museum was undergoing renovations at the time, but we came across some very knowledgeable volunteers who were happy to share information about the sites. I think it’s a bit of a hidden gem. The whole area is quite picturesque.