I will be in Scotland for 11-13 days in the beginning of July and am looking to do a multi-day active adventure. I haven't quite decided what I want to do yet, but the options I'm currently evaluating are:
- Hiking the West Highland Way (Fort William -> Glasgow)
- Hiking the Great Glen Way (Fort William -> Inverness)
- Biking the Great Glen Way
- Biking through Cairngorm, West Highlands and Skye
- Hiking around Argyll and western Isles (Kerrera, Jura, Islay and Gigha)
But I'm concerned about the midges. I have heard that will be peak season to be prey for these hungry creatures and I wouldn't mind factoring in which of those options above might give me the best chance to avoid them. Will one of those options have reduced likelihood of encountering bad midges? Or is it pretty equal across the board? Or are they really not that bad and I shouldn't factor the midges in when choosing among the above?
I appreciate your input!