Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Question

Hi,

My husband and I are planning a trip for this September and were hoping to get some help/suggestions on our last leg.

Edinburgh 3 nights

Pick up rental in Perth and drive to Braemar
Braemar 1 night

Drive to Inverness and pick up my parents from the train station there. Do Cawdor, Clava Cairns, Glen Ord

Inverness 2 nights (Foyers Lodge. Which is farther from town but for the 2nd day we may just relax after driving or go for a hike to the waterfall).

Drive to Skye. Do Eileen Donan.

Skye 4 nights

Drive to Oban. Do Ferry to Malliag and Glencoe.

Oban 1 night (they seemed to have more accommodations and restaurants. Plus my dad wants to go to the distillery here).

Now for the question. We have 3 more nights. We were debating doing Glen Eagles (my parents are a bit fancy), but then I was telling them about Fife and they are now really into the idea of staying in St Andrew’s. The drive is longer. Thoughts/ suggestions? Is it too much for one day?

We are flying out of Edinburgh btw.

Posted by
27063 posts

Aside from the distillery (are there others that would be acceptable substitutes?), I'm not sure there's much reason to stay in Oban if you don't plan to take the ferry to Mull and Iona (if not also to Staffa). Oban's not an unpleasant place, but it seemed basically a transit point to me.

Not having had a car at my disposal in Scotland, I'm not well equipped to suggest an alternative--but if not Glencoe, maybe Inveraray? (I haven't looked at a highway map so don't know whether Inveraray makes any sense if you're head to St. Andrews next.)