Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Help Please!!

Hi! If anyone can help me figure this out, I’d really appreciate it. I am traveling to Scotland in May with my husband. We are flying into Edinburgh and will be flying to Ireland the day after we arrive (our flight into Edinburgh is set but the flight to Ireland hasn’t been booked yet). We will be in Ireland for four days. That leaves the rest of our trip open. Here is what our itinerary looks like right now but we’re needing help!

Day 1: Arrive in Edinburgh (sleep Edinburgh)
Day 2: Fly to Dublin
Day 3: Ireland
Day 4: Ireland
Day 5: Ireland/ Fly back to Edinburgh
Day 6: Travel to inverness (sleep inverness)
Day 7: Inverness
Day 8: Drive to and explore the Isle of Skye (sleep Portree)
Day 9: Isle of Skye (portree)
Day 10: Drive to Oban with a stop in Glencoe
Day 11: Oban/drive to Edinburgh (sleep in Edinburgh)
Day 12: Edinburgh
Day 13: Edinburgh
Day 14: Fly back home from Edinburgh

Does this timeline sound good? We have never been to Scotland and want to make sure we are planning this out correctly. Thank you so much!

Posted by
13 posts

I think it sounds pretty well spaced, and you have so many options of things to do in these areas. Do you have any specific interests, or do you want to see a nice array of the standard cultural and historical sites; castles, abbeys, landmarks, etc? Are you interested in seeing any distilleries or golf courses?

Also, keep in mind it might be difficult to get accommodation in Portree for those dates as peak season pretty much runs May- August, so I would definitely get started at booking that!

Posted by
7360 posts

If you’re committed to flying round-trip between home and Edinburgh, and you want to spend 2/3 of your trip in Scotland and 1/3 in Ireland, it’s a good timeline.

For Day 5, how about flying from Ireland directly to Inverness, saving transit time? This, of course, assumes suitable flight times and price.

It’s been a few years, but we once rented our car in downtown Inverness, drove to Skye, and then after returning to the mainland, eventually turned it in at the Edinburgh airport. We flew out of Scotland that same day, but you could certainly stick around Edinburgh for three nights.