Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Advice

I have 7 nights - thought I would split between Glencoe, Isle of Skye & Inverness.
I was thinking 2 nights in Glencoe and for the other 5 nights should I do 3 nights in Skye & 2 in Inverness ?
or there is accommodations near Eilean Donan Castle I could book for 5 days.

Thanks so much for any advise!

Posted by
1857 posts

What are your priorities and what are you wanting to achieve in the different places?

Where are you coming from and will you have a car?

Eilean Donan Castle may look a good half way compromise but have you worked out just how long you will spend driving to and from Inverness (allow 2 hours each way..) or Skye? Don't underestimate how long it will takje you to get between places in Scotland - Distances may not look all that far on the map but will take a lot longer to cover than you might expect. If using Google maps visitors are advised to add 25% to their drive times.

If you do go down this route, there is some accommodation in Dornie a couple of miles away.

Posted by
6113 posts

Ideally, you need 4 nights (3 full days) for Skye as a minimum. Personally, I would spend the other 3 nights in Glencoe.

I wouldn’t stay near Eilean Donan, as you will spend all your time driving to where you really want to be.

Posted by
3122 posts

If you're particularly interested in Eilean Donan Castle, the nearest lodging is a short walk away: the Dornie Hotel. We enjoyed staying there as it's clean, simple, and affordable, with helpful staff. Their pub/restaurant is popular with locals.

If you want to be on the Isle of Skye itself, then Dornie may not be so convenient. OTOH, it's reasonably close to the Glenelg ferry, if you want to access the Isle that way instead of by bridge.

Rather than Inverness itself, you may enjoy the area around Drumnadrochit, including Urqhuhart Castle and the Loch Ness Centre & Exhibition.

Posted by
10230 posts

In September we stayed in Portree and then relocated to Inverness. We stopped at Eilean Donan Castle on the drive to Inverness. It worked out well. I’m assuming you’ll be driving. I like your division of how many nights you’ll spend in each place.