Please sign in to post.

Isle of Skye, Scotland

We will be based in Portree and have 3 days to spend at Isle of Skye. Can you tell me some "must see" places?

Posted by
1279 posts

It depends how active you are. If you like to get out and walk, the Trotternish Ridge is good. The Old Man of Storr and the Quirang reward a little effort. The hills of the Black Cuillin are something else again though and are tough hikes not to be taken lightly (I say that as I saw a small guide book in a shop on the way to Skye once that suggests these peaks are nothing more then a walk in the park - one look at them at first hand would reveal that they are serious undertakings, not to be trifled with). However, there's nothing to stop you having a wander down the glen from the Sligachan Hotel to see them fairly close up. The boat trip from Elgol to Loch Coruisk is worth doing which gets you to the other end of the glen, albeit for a fairy short stay. There's also the oft-mentioned Fairy Pools and the lighthouse at Neist Point.

If walking is not your thing, then there is Dunvegan Castle to have a look round and the Clan Donald Centre at Armadale (just adjacent to where the ferry from Mallaig arrives). The Talisker whisky distillery does tours, as they all do. Eilean Donan Castle is not on the island but is nearby on the mainland.

Fine diners might like to try and get a table at Three Chimneys at Colbost, under McLeod's Tables, but beware - it's booked up months in advance and is expensive (in my view it's worth it!).

Skye is a surprisingly big island and you'll need a car to cover it sensibly over three days. That said, it's a spectacular place (if the weather co-operates!) and I'm sure you'll find lots of interesting things to see and do as you travel around.

Have a great trip! I'm jealous I'm not going with you!

Posted by
7346 posts

Stroll the streets and visit shops in Portree, since you'll be in the biggest town (which isn't that big) on the island.

For the greatest concentration of geological wonders on Skye, do the counter-clockwise drive of the Trotternish Peninsula from Portree, described in Rick Steves' guidebook. If you aren't driving yourselves, several tour companies will do the driving for you. Highlights (assuming the weather is good enough and it's not pouring rain) include expansive views across the water, the Old Man of Storr rock formation, and the Kilt Rock cliffs.

If you enjoy hiking, spend some time in the Quiraing, or in the area south of Sligachan. There are also some exceptional restaurants and a whiskey distillery tour, but that may not be everyone's "must see."

Posted by
1279 posts

PS. Check out www.isleofskye.com for a district by district overview and to see what activities you might like to do when on the island - boat trips, wildlife tours, etc. etc., especially if you are without a car.

Posted by
21 posts

We were there last week, so incredibly beautiful. We stayed at a B&B that offered a photo tour. The photolgrapher's name is Tim Wilcock if you want to look into it. A word of advice, dining is a challenge. Portree is small and the crowds are big. The Granary is a good spot. I recommend making reservations now if possible.