Please sign in to post.

Isle of Skye or Isle of Mull?

I have only one full day and a part to commit, should I go to Skye or Mull, why?
Thanks in advance

Darryl

Posted by
3153 posts

One full day from where? Does one full day mean two nights? You need a minimum of four nights for the Isle of Skye.

Posted by
1440 posts

Hi, Darryl,

They're pretty far apart. Where would you be coming from, and where would you be travelling to after you leave? Each island has its attractions for visitors, but a lot depends on your interests. There is only one main road on Mull, from Tobermory to Fionnphort (for Iona), but many offshoots which will lead you to great scenery, castles, etc. Skye has several peninsulas, each of which has its own particular highlights, and each of which is worth a full day's exploration.

Again, your choice of islands depends upon your interests, but if the full day involves the getting there, you'll need to plan your day, and your overnight accordingly.

Good luck!

Mike (Auchterless)

Posted by
7458 posts

My own answer would be Mull (and I have very strong genealogy on Skye, so should be preferring Skye). I'm lucky in that my genealogy is at a part of the Island which the tourists almost never reach.

To me Mull is a more manageable island than Skye, and in it's own way can be just as scenic. It is also massively easier on Mull to escape the tourist crowds than on Skye where everyone is on the same predictable circuit.

Skye IMO has become far too touristed, and the island infrastructure is struggling to cope. Well into my lifetime (before the bridge was built) tourism on Skye was effectively controlled by the capacity of the ferries. And by the glory days of no Sunday ferries at all, due to strict observation of the Sabbath.

But in absolute truth, with 1 day, I may well plump for a different option again- the much neglected (by overseas tourists) Islay.

Posted by
2224 posts

This is impossible to answer unless we know where you are coming from and where you are heading afterwards... Have a look at a map of Scotland as they are quite a way apart...

What attracts you to these places and what are your intentions once there?

when are you planning on going? Accommodation on both does book up quickly. Also during the summer some places on Skye may want a 3 night booking...

By the way a response to your previous two questions would be appreciated.

Posted by
1440 posts

Hi again, drasch,

Skye is slightly easier to get to, as you have the option of the bridge if the ferries are not operating for some reason.

Another vote for Islay. Even if you're not interested in the distilleries, there's still a lot to see and do, and it's the easiest way to get to Jura, which is a great experience in itself. Islay also has one of the best charity shops in the Southern Hebrides.

Mike (Auchterless)