Please sign in to post.

Isle of Islay

Hello travelers
Looking for thoughts about Islay. Anyone ever been there? Planning on mid October (last minute) is it a worthwhile 3 night stay? Flight is a bit pricey but only 45 minutes from Glascow.
Thanks as usual.

Posted by
2637 posts

you can go by ferry but it is a bit of a pain by public transport.
Islay is a wonderful place especially if you are into whisky but not the easiest place to get around unless you either take over a car of hire one there.

Posted by
3122 posts

If you only have 3 nights, flying is probably the better choice. Getting to the ferry is a long drive from Glasgow (which I've done) so you'd be using up most of a day to get to the ferry and another day to get back. I have not been to the island, but I understand it's a highly rated destination for bird watching. Then there's the whisky, of course...

Posted by
33 posts

We visited Islay last year and would love to go back! Bowmore was a good midpoint location to stay in (for whisky tasting). If you fly, rent a car on Islay. Places are far apart with limited public transportation and taxi options. We drove/ferried, but the ferry is a ways from Glasgow and we had more time

. Bruichladdich was our favorite distillery, followed by Bunnahabhain (long drive on narrow one lane road, but such a lovely location on the water when you get there), although you can't go wrong with any of them if you like whisky.

We also drove to Finlaggan and Kildalton Cross, and there are many other things to see and do depending on your interests.