Please sign in to post.

Inverness

We will be spending three nights in Inverness. One day we are taking a WOW tour to Isle of Skye. On another day should we take the train ride to Kyle of Locklash? Thanks

Posted by
4151 posts

Ummm, with only 2 days to explore, have you considered anything closer to Inverness? Like the Culloden Battlefield or Cawdor Castle or Loch Ness or Urquhart Castle or the Clava Cairns? If you haven't already Googled for the information, take a look here.

Posted by
6113 posts

I echo the comments made in Lo's response. Inverness to Portree on Skye is more than a 5 hour round trip, which won't give you much time on Skye. Skye is one place that shouldn't be rushed.

There are plenty of good places to visit round Inverness itself, such as the Cairngorms.

Posted by
5678 posts

Hi, if you're already doing the WOW tour, I would recommend doing something else the other two days.

• Urquhart Castle and Loch Ness: So, it looks like you just drive by Urquhart Castle, so you could do that on one day. It looks like there is a public bus as far as Dumnadrochit, but there is a wonderful TI in Inverness and you can ask them about a bus, or if there are tours. I think that someone mentioned that there are boat tours of Loch Ness that leave from Inverness. The castle has a great visitor centre and the castle offers great views of the Loch.
  • Culloden. Of course, as someone already mentioned, there is the Culloden Battlefield. You can get a public bus to the Battlefield. The Clava Cairns can be walked to from the Battlefield. It's about a half hour.
  • Cawdor Castle. Cawdor Castle is lovely as well. Check with the TI on buses. You may have to take a taxi. It's just beyond the airport.
  • Boat trip on the Moray Firth. These tours are offered regularly and give you a chance to see dolphins and to just enjoy the Firth.
  • Fort George. This is an very interesting fort. It is an active fort, but is packed with history. It has wonderful views of the Firth of Forth.
  • Highland Folk Museum. You can take the train or bus to this great museum.
  • Walk on the Beach and in the forest. Culbin Sands is lovely place to walk through the forest to the Moray Firth. You can see dolphins, otters, and many, many birds. It would be a bus ride. Ask at the TI.

The TI can tell you about lots more day trips.

Also, do enjoy the city. The are lots of great restaurants. Check out Hootananny for folk and other music. One of my favorite jewelry designers is there--Hazel Passmore. There's a great used bookstore. There's a nice walk near the River Ness.

All that should keep you busy. :)

Pam