Please sign in to post.

International drivers license

Hello! Do we need international drivers license's to rent a car in Scotland?

Posted by
7552 posts

Assuming you have a valid US drivers license, an IDP is not required in the UK. However, if you fall into one of the states that do funny things with renewals of licenses (let you keep an expired license with a paper notice that you updated) or have other reasons that may lead someone to question the legitimacy of your license, then spending $20 for an IDP is prudent. The IDP is an official internationally recognized notarization that the license you carry is valid, so in the case of a question, it solves the issue.

Posted by
2406 posts

I don't think the IDP has a Scottish translation 😀😀

Posted by
32752 posts

My answer to your Ireland question is the same for here.

Posted by
4518 posts

I often correct people that the IDP is not a translation, but it appears this false statement cannot be purged and will be endlessly repeated on this board.

The IDP follows the Vienna Convention driver licence format, includes items not on your driver license, and is listed in multiple languages.

Posted by
4535 posts

Paul's answer hit the nail on the head. I was almost denied a rental car in England because my state license had a funky way of showing renewals.

There is no good reason not to have an IDP whenever driving out of the US.

Posted by
6539 posts

You are correct Tom_MN that the IDP is not a literal translation of ones drivers license. However, I believe that when people use the word translation, readers understand it is not a literal translation, rather, shows by the use of stamps within the IDP what you are authorized to drive by displaying those authorizations in multiple languages. Maybe I just give the readers more credit than I should.