Please sign in to post.

How does this itinerary sound?

We will be in Scotland for @10 days in September, landing in Edinburgh and Leaving from Glasgow. Our current plan is:
Day 1 - arrival, staying in Edinburgh (not sure where yet)
Day 2 - Edinburgh
Day 3 - pick up rental car in city and go to Bowhill for Highland Games before going to Stirling (Castlecroft Bed and Breakfast)
Day 4 - Stirling
Day 5 - leave Stirling for Tarbert (Stonefield Castle).
Day 6 - Tarbert, Isle of Arran
Day 7 - to Glen Coe(no place to stay yet)
Day 8 - to Loch Lomand and The Trossachs
Day 9 - Glasgow (no place to stay yet.
Day 10 - leave from Glasgow.

Glasgow gets short shrift but maybe next time. Should I cut out Glen Coe and do two days around Loch Lomand? Or cut out LL and stop on our way to Glasgow from Glen Coe?

Posted by
1834 posts

Your itinerary is beginning to sound a bit like a tick exercise. Glencoe is very much the outlier on the itinerary and the ‘wrong’ way. It is a long way to drive just to turn round the following day. I would scrap this.

I’m also wondering if it would work better the other way round?

DAY 3
What time is the Bowhill Highland Games? Bowhill is in the Borders, south of Edinburgh and I was wondering if it would make sense to then head to Ardrossan for the late ferry to Aran. Spend 2 nights on Aran. Which will give a day and a half to explore the island.

Day 5
Catch the ferry from Aran to Tarbert for the overnight at Stonefield Castle (I assume the attraction of Tarbert is the stop at a castle?)

Day 6
Head to Stirling. Drive alongside Loch Lomond on the way and stop at Luss. Spend 3 nights in Stirling. Day 7 spend around Stirling. Day 8 do a day trip to Calandar and the Trossachs.

Day 9 Head to Glasgow for two nights.