Please sign in to post.

Hotels in Edinburgh

For a few nights, we're looking for a romantic, old-feeling hotel near the Castle. Recommendations?
Many thanks,
Marjie Gowdy

Posted by
16265 posts

We really enjoyed our stay at Hotel du Vin in Edinburgh. It may not be the closest hotel to the castle, but has lots of history and is definitely quirky and romantic.

https://blog.5pm.co.uk/2014/05/hotel-du-vin-edinburghs-curious-history

The location in the Old Town, near the Edinburgh Museum and the University of Edinburgh, is great. I think the walk to the castle is about 15 minutes. I kind of recall seeing the castle from our window, but I may be imagining things.

Posted by
6384 posts

What's your budget? The Balmoral certainly fits your demands (unless it has to be in Old Town) but is not the cheapest option.

Posted by
104 posts

I looked at the Balmoral and might consider it, but wanted to see what you great travellers first recommended.

Posted by
5678 posts

I have stayed at the Inverleith when I have visited Edinburgh. I have appreciated the distance from the crazy tourist mania of the Royal Mile, but also the ease of riding the bus up to set craziness. My dad first found them over 15 years ago and I've kept on returning whenever I can.

Posted by
5678 posts

Sorry just saw that you wanted to be near the Castle. Have you checked out the Witchery? I think it looks marvelous but have never been.

Posted by
8 posts

Agree the Witchery is the closest to the castle, I’m not sure how one could stay any closer to the castle without staying in the actual castle, turn left out the front door and you’ve arrived at the gates. It’s famous for the restaurant, but they do have a few lavishly decorated rooms that look comfortable and romantic. The rooms do book quickly, I’ve never had any luck getting a reservation, maybe you will be able to snag one. Have a great trip in beautiful Edinburgh

Posted by
5678 posts

Hah, have never even tried as I am saving it for romance which doesn't seem to be coming my way. :(

Ah well, I still have all of Scotland!

Pam

Posted by
7 posts

We stayed at the Rutland Hotel which we enjoyed. Close to public transportation and not too far a walk to the castle. Staff were very friendly. Restaurant good too.

Posted by
1117 posts

I have stayed in the Balmoral and would highly recommend it.

Posted by
104 posts

Many thanks to all of you! We were able to book two nights at The Witchery, and I'm thrilled. Great recommendation!

Posted by
5678 posts

Report back on the Witchery! I want to know it it as good as it looks!