Please sign in to post.

Hotels in Edinburgh

We are looking at hotels for a 3 night stay next May. Both the Haymarket and Bonham have availability but the Bonham is about $100 a night more. Would appreciate any input if you have stayed in either hotel, or if you have another recommendation. Our preference is to keep costs as close to $200 a night as possible but sometimes a hotel is worth a splurge. Is Bonham one of those places?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Marcia

Posted by
1376 posts

Hi, Marcia,

Instead of splurging on a hotel where you're only going to spending about eight to 10 hours a day, most of it sleeping, why not check out one of the centrally located Ibis, Apex, or Premier Inn hotels? With the money you save, you could splash out on a really good restaurant meal, or buy something really nice at Jenner's.

All three chains have hotels that are centrally located, are comfortable, and reasonably priced. You can find one or more of these hotels either in the Grassmarket, close to Princes Street, or near Haymarket.

Mike (Auchterless)

Posted by
31 posts

Hi Marcia. I did the RS Scotland tour this month and we stayed at the Bonham. It's lovely hotel that has a pretty decent breakfast with choices of cooked to order items in addition to the buffet. The rooms are pretty standard and the staff are friendly. My only slight complaint would be location. It's a bit of walk to the Royal Mile and it's partly uphill. The hotel is in a quiet, less touristy area. The bus and tram system is very good though (I'd recommend downloading the app for ease of use), so I used the bus a lot to get places when not with the group. I'd definitely stay there again if I go back to Edinburgh.

Posted by
150 posts

I feel silly admitting this-I got hotels mixed up today...it’s Grassmarket Hotel we read about in RS book, not Haymarket. Oops!

Posted by
137 posts

We stayed at the Hotel Indigo on Princes St. Great location and easy to walk to several things. Buses are close by and public transportation was great. We took the bus from the airport and it stopped about a 5 min walk from the hotel. Lots of food nearby as well. The only time we took a taxi was to join our hairy coo tour that left pretty early in the morning. It was only about a 5 min ride - other than that, it was public transportation everywhere, including to Rosslyn Chapel.

Posted by
996 posts

We stayed at the Apex City of Edinburgh. The front desk was wonderful. Hopefully they still give you a rubber duckie. ;-) And it's very conveniently located.

Posted by
8374 posts

We had a lovely stay at Premier Inn York Place. The tram from the airport stops at the front door. Ask for a room with a harbor view. It was amazing.

Posted by
150 posts

Thank you for all the great suggestions-we will research the hotels mentioned and I am sure will find a great place to stay.

Posted by
150 posts

We picked Premier Inn York Place-seemed like the best option considering price and location. Not going to be there until end of May but it's nice to have it done. Thanks again to all of you for the advice!