Please sign in to post.

Hotel reservations?

Do I need to make hotel reservations for May travel while visiting Inverness, Pitlochry, Spey River area, Grampian, Teyside? We would like to play it by ear, but will make reservations if needed.

Posted by
23319 posts

No, you can play it by ear. We have done it for years. Generally the only reservations we make is the first couple of nights and the last night. Need to be flexible and not overly picky. With the internet and booking services it is pretty easy to find something a day or two in advance or even that day.

Posted by
19109 posts

Not making reservations is a luxury, and luxury costs money, so if you don't mind spending more money, don't make reservations.

There are a lot of people out there reserving their places in advance and when they see a really great deal, they don't say, "I'll pass on this and let someone who arrives at the last minute have it", no they reserve what's best and you get the rest.

Posted by
1452 posts

It really depends on your taste and comfort level. If you like just a room for the night you can find charming little b&bs or rooms in Pubs...or businessman hotels and brand name motels. If you want resort facilities with golf courses and private fishing you probably want to book ahead. We did it on the fly because we were driving and could stay at a farmhouse in the country. It probably depends on the time of the year. We usually travel spring or fall so we don't have the crowds. Also we can stay on the edge of the bigger places. Bon Voyage.

Posted by
5678 posts

If you are not fussy about your rooms or are flexible then no, you don't need a reservation. I've used the book a bed ahead with the TI or you can make phone calls or look for signs. I like the flexibility myself, and at that time of year, you should be okay. But no complaining if you have to pay more than you want, or it's not the perfect cosy B&B. :)