Hey everyone! We are planning our second trip to Scotland. We'll be combining Iceland, Scottish Highlands, and Ireland coastal areas. Planning for October 2019, and it'll be maybe a 16 day trip? Only planning 3 days for Iceland. The rest is negotiable. We'll more than likely be flying into Edinburgh from Reykjavik, Iceland. We've already toured Edinburgh, as well as Stirling, and St. Andrews, so this time we plan to focus on the highlands.
I’m going to list what we want to see so far, and I realize that it is a LOT… A lot of places we want to see, and a lot of moving around. Usually when we travel to any country we like to have a “home base” per region we travel to, then take day trips from there. But the things we want to see this time seem so much more spread out and I’m afraid travel time will take up too much of the days for us to see everything that we would like. We also don't want to completely fill all of our time and feel like we can't really enjoy anything.
Can anyone help us figure out which cities we should use as home bases (if at all), and how in the WORLD we might be able to see all of these places in our time frame?!
Ok, here we go-
- Fly into Edinburgh and, depending on flight time, only one night there (since we’ve toured it already)
- Train to Oban? (for the distillery and sites)
- From Oban to Islay for Laphroaig / Lagavulin distilleries, stay one night I guess because of travel time from Oban.
- Back to Oban to catch a train or drive to Glencoe
- Maybe one or two nights in Glencoe
- Then to Fort William to take the Jacobite train which travels from Fort William to Mallaig (Glanfinnan Viaduct)
- then to Isle of Skye to stay for a couple days
- then to Inverness to stay a couple days to see Loch Ness, Culloden
Other things we'd love to do:
- We REALLY want to see Inveraray castle
- Highland archival center
- Clava Cairns
- If there's any way we could fit Aberdeen in we'd love to go for family history reasons.
I have NO idea how long all of this will take realistically. Do you have suggestions? Advice?
Thank you so much, y'all!