Please sign in to post.

Highland Games

Hi all! We are (once again) rescheduling our trip to Scotland and are looking at early September. While reading about events taking place while we are there, I came across two that sounded interesting- The Braemar Gathering and the Pitlochry Highland Games. It's likely we would only do one since our time is limited. The question is what are the pros and cons of each? Which one would you recommend for a first time visitor? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Posted by
267 posts

Is this for 2022?

In terms of events there's not much to choose between either, but if it were me I'd try for the Braemar Gathering simply because it has the cachet of royal attendance which Pitlochry does not have. In this Platinum Jubilee year for HM The Queen I'm guessing that the organisers of the Braemar Gathering will make the event noteworthy.

If you do choose Braemar then you need to sort out accommodation now.

Posted by
1314 posts

Laura, fortunately I snagged tickets to the Braemar gathering and reserved a place through Booking.com in Banchory on sownack’s recommendation to reserve early. Since last years gathering was cancelled, many locals holding tickets from last year will (I’m guessing) get priority for this year. I just have to figure out how to get to the games from Banchory. Bus, probably.