Please sign in to post.

HebCelt cancelled for 2021

I just received an e-mail from the HebCelt (Hebridean Celtic Festival) organizers, that the 2021 festival has been cancelled. This will be a great financial blow to the island of Lewis, as the event usually brings in about two million pounds in revenue to the islands.

The festival was scheduled for mid-July. Last year's festival was cancelled as well.

I hope that this is not a harbinger of what this summer will look like in Scotland. I had high hopes of getting back this year, and of going to the festival.

Best wishes to all of our forum visitors, and stay safe.

Mike (Auchterless)

Posted by
6113 posts

Sorry to disappoint, but I think this is what Scotland will be like this summer. The government has said it will be December before all adults receive their second vaccination and these things have a habit of slipping rather than being brought forward. Until that time, I can’t see mass events being permitted.

Glastonbury at the end of June has been scrapped. Of course, this is an entirely open air event. Chelsea Flower Show has been postponed from late May until September, but that date is also in doubt. It too is mostly outside.

Posted by
7347 posts

I wonder whether many big events around the world will be held off, not only because of the likelihood that it won’t be adequately safe, but that the planning needed to pull off the event even in non-pandemic circumstances can’t be accomplished in the current environment? Hopefully the HebCelt ‘22 will be an enormous success.

Posted by
4071 posts

Thanks, Mike. I, too, had hoped to be on Lewis this summer (although missing HebCelt). Maybe 2022. :)

Posted by
1446 posts

Maybe parts of the various Festivals can be held virtually and be made available by subscription online. We are having a Master Gardeners Seminar live streaming with a Keynote Speaker and menu of classes to choose, with class participation with question and answer time. Recordings of classes will be made available to all payees with the exception of some classes which the speaker does not wish to record. Participants can be from anywhere with a good connection. A lot of people have been subscribing to concerts and theater. We also have a FFA conference, future farmers, that is also online. Sheep shearing, anyone?
Just order your own refreshments and settle in for the day. You can still go for walk to think about how you can apply what you have learned.