Please sign in to post.

Heather

I have asked this same question for Ireland since we are planning a road trip to both. When during the year is the peak bloom for heather? Research proved inconclusive. While I am sure it is weather dependent, April to September would not be helpful.

Posted by
1376 posts

Hi, Frank,

Late August to mid-September would be your best time, although you can still find heather blooming as late as early October.

Hope that helps!

Mike (Auchterless)

Posted by
238 posts

We drove from Perth to Cairngorms National Park and Braemar in mid-August, 2017. There was plenty of heather to delight us both.

Posted by
5678 posts

Yep, the best time is the mid-August to mid-September range. And it is beautiful. One of my favorite afternoons in Scotland was in the hills above Ullapool. Sitting /sleeping in the heather with blue sky and the sun sparkling on the Loch.

Pam

Posted by
33 posts

I believe I've heard that the further north you go, the slightly later the blooming season is. I can't recall by how much, maybe a month? Something to keep in mind, based on the average temperatures. But we have a witness to when it bloomed in Ullapool, so that helps!

Posted by
3391 posts

I stayed up in the Lake District (almost Scotland!) from mid-August until around September 15 one year...by around September 5 the fells were covered with purple and stayed that way until we had to leave...it was stunning!

Posted by
3428 posts

@peripignan - Scottish heather comes in both purple and white, with the white being more rare.

We saw heather in bloom in late July around Dalwhinnie when we toured the distillery. It had been a rather hot summer that year, so it may have bloomed a bit early.

Posted by
5678 posts

I staying in a B&B in Fortrose one year where the owner had a garden full of all the varieties of heather. It was magnificent! They were every shade of purple and pink and some white and yellow as well. Check out this guide to heather on Walk Highlands.

Posted by
47 posts

As you migh imagine, I delight in seeing heather on my travels. On our last trip, we hiked Hadrian’s Wall in early August and the heather was last lovely. The following week in Scotland meant the heather was even more profuse. I hope you find your heather!