Please sign in to post.

Grasshoppers Hotel in Glasgow -- closing on September 1, 2024

Two days ago, Grasshoppers notified me that they are closing September 1:

Unfortunately, we have had to cancel your reservation to stay with us in September as we have been informed today that the hotel will be closing and there will be no guests staying past 31st August.

Posted by
134 posts

Thank you for sharing this sad news. I stayed there in June, and things seemed a bit off. I hope that the staff will find new employment soon.

Posted by
7565 posts

Oh, that’s too bad. I stayed there in May 2023 and really enjoyed my stay. I wonder what happened. And I wonder if someone else will take over that space. Thanks for the update. I hope you find a replacement hotel.

Posted by
10019 posts

Darnit! Thanks for sharing this bummer news, Shashin. I didn't stay at Grasshoppers last time I was in Glasgow, but it was a great, central, affordable option. I hate hearing this ! But it's good to know.

Posted by
1188 posts

It was always quite surprising the prices they could do for what sounded like quite a good service for a budget hotel. It did sound quite nice when Mardee reported on it when it was at its best. You wonder how rents are doing in that area. I talked before about how it's central but I had long memories of sketchiness around there.

I'd imagine that building is still owned by Network Rail, the UK's national rail infrastructure organisation. I don't know if they're good landlords or not.

Posted by
709 posts

I got a notice last year winter that the Saltoun Inn in Fraserburgh was being sold and that all reservations were canceled. Just a few days later they re-opened for reservations under the same name at roughly double the price. Isn't capitalism grand?

Posted by
7565 posts

Well, this is interesting. I did a quick google search and found all these documents that discuss why Grasshoppers is closing and what will happen. The latest documents discussed the amount of debt that is owed to creditors, and whether they will follow the suggested strategy and whether the hotel will close (which it looks like its doing). But it sounds like the hotel has a lot of debt and this is the solution. Follow the link and scroll down to the PDF documents.

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/07026603/filing-history

Posted by
1188 posts

It seems they've been in administration (insolvent) since last year. That may explain why service wasn't so great this year. The administrator has been running it since end of 2023.

I wasn't far off the mark mentioning Network Rail. From the administration document it looked like they owed Network Rail over £750 000 in rent. When I said I didn't know if Network Rail was a good landlord, I was being a bit kind. I do sort of know that they have been guilty of massive rent hikes on property in London. Many small businesses (mechanics, bodyshops, fabricators etc.) in London rent railway arches from them all across the city. Not saying they're at fault in this case though.

Running a hotel is a tough game to make work financially. There's so much competition from the chains and their economies of scale that independent operators will find it hard in the current climate without a bunch of foreign investment. It makes me think of that thread recently where the OP had a poor experience at an independent hotel in London recommended by Rick. An example of same I think.

I'd be surprised if another hotel didn't open fairly quickly after Grasshopper closes. It must have been fitted out as a hotel just a couple of years ago and I think the landlord will be keen to get another tenant in.

Posted by
1188 posts

Haha... yeah well you maybe read it a bit closer than I did then Nick. That fact alone puts another bit of perspective on it. I think I'd still stand by my point, but if you play silly games like that...

At least it didn't mysteriously catch fire, which often happens in Glasgow when a business in the entertainments industry is struggling.

Hopefully the staff get a bit more than 15% of owed. The landscape for those working in the trenches of the hospitality and events game is still quite good, at least in London. It's flattened out a bit this year I think, but staffing has been really difficult since Brexit and COVID. People in the industry have been able to pick and choose work because everywhere is desperate for staff, at least here in London.

Posted by
7324 posts

At least it didn't mysteriously catch fire, which often happens in Glasgow when a business in the entertainments industry is struggling.

Don't go tempting fate or suggesting things. There is still time!

I saw one of those suspicious fires a fortnight ago at the old Hospice on Carlton Place as I left Central Station at 8pm- only 10 minutes into the blaze, already a big inferno with multiple fire engines arriving on scene.

Posted by
1188 posts

It's going off topic, but Carlton Place is certainly an interesting little nook of Glasgow. I won't go OT further by posting links, but one can read about the colourful history of the street with a bit of searching. Some of the most architecturally important buildings in the whole of Glasgow. Some of them will be listed I believe. Probably quite hard to redevelop if the interiors are listed too, which they may be if memory serves.