Please sign in to post.

Glencoe

We are 70 year olds and not avid hikers. We have one day to visit Glencoe, what would you recommend.

Posted by
1188 posts

Will you have a car? If so then I'd recommend a side trip to drive Glen Etive, which is an 'out and back' road above Glencoe, near the Kings House Hotel. You will likely see plenty of red deer and it's very scenic. I'd also recommend lunch at the Kings House Hotel, where you will have excellent views of the Glencoe mountain range and out across the moors. Then drive down through Glencoe, pausing in one of the newly extended parking areas (they are still quite small though) to take in the views. Then continue along the A82 and stop at the Glencoe Visitor Centre to learn more about the history and geography of the area. Assuming you are going to Fort William, you might enjoy a diversion via the Corran ferry (turn up and go no booking needed) which would enable you to drive up the less busy side of the loch and eventually bring you back to Fort William.

Posted by
1652 posts

I absolutely agree with skyegirl that if you have a car, you have to drive down the Glen Etive Road. It is 12 miles one-way, and it is worth it to drive the full length of the road to Loch Etive. This was one of the most spectacular places we saw in Scotland. You will drive through a valley, alongside the Etive River, surrounded by lush greenery. What month are you visiting? We were there in June last year, and we saw thousands of rhododendron bushes up and down the hills. The drive is spectacular and worth every inch.

Posted by
99 posts

We went down Glen Etive road at the end of April when it was not quite Spring in the Highlands so few flowers but it's incredible scenery. There is a car park at the end of the road and you could walk along the loch. Great place for photos with the mountains framing Loch Etive.

More towards the beginning of Glen Etive road heading in you'll see impressive Bauchallie Etive Mor on your right. There is a very small car park on the left. Cross the road you'll find a lovely waterfall that you can meander along. With Bauchallie in the background, tumbling waterfalls in the foreground it's an absolutely beautiful place to soak in the highlands . I was admiring the scenery and not paying attention to how long it was before we could park but not very far in.

We were early in the morning so were able to park but I can imagine that the car parks can be quite busy.

Posted by
28 posts

Plan B. Take photos.
There are a few stop areas at key points when driving through scenic Glencoe. If you have photo skills you can capture some really great shots of Glencoe from where you parked. After that drive into town where you’re staying (eg. Fort William) and eat a big plate of breaded haddock and chips.