Please sign in to post.

Glasgow Lodging

I thought it best to post this separate from my Edinburgh inquiry. Glasgow will be the final place we'll visit on a planned holiday to Scotland in mid May 2018. We would appreciate recommendations for lodging for 3 days and 3 nights in Glasgow. We'll be arriving by train from Portree via Ft. William et. al., and will be using public transportation to the maximum extent possible while in the city. We'll depart Glasgow by air for the flight home to the US.

What would be a good way to be introduced to the city when we arrive? We prefer DIY visits as opposed to tours, but if there is a 2-3 hour introductory tour that will assist us in planning the balance of our time in the city, this would be fine. I saw some reviews for a "Glasgow Free Walking Tour" with an address at 369 Calder Street. Most of the reviews (on TripAdvisor) were 5 years ago and one post in 2013 indicated this tour wasn't available, yet a more recent post noted it was in operation (again?).

Posted by
631 posts

you'll be needing this.....

https://peoplemakeglasgow.com/

various tours under Things to Do, accomodation under Visiting. In your case go by the postcode of the hotel address. G1 and G2 are well placed in the centre, for G3 and G4 put the whole postcode into Google Maps and see exactly where it is. Anything else is probably too far out. The Millenium Hotel is attached to Queen Street station which would be useful for your arrival. The Grand Central is attached to Central station, my neighbour had a disaster there a few weeks ago and walked out. I stayed there 20 years ago and it was very noisy and badly run - times change but apparently the hotel hasn't! The route 500 fast bus to the airport is this https://www.firstgroup.com/greater-glasgow/routes-and-maps/glasgow-airport-express and the central stops are here (watch direction of arrows!) https://www.firstgroup.com/uploads/node_images/500_City_Centre_Map_0.pdf - so a hotel near a stop would be useful, after the final pickup at stop WH it's about 15 minutes to the airport.

Don't try to find the Calder Street address, it's an appartment in a distant suburb.

Someone posted a trip report for Glasgow 3 or 4 weeks ago and had a great time, worth finding and reading it.

PS by airport we assume Glasgow International (GLA) , not Prestwick which certain airlines suggest is Glasgow........

Posted by
17 posts

If you're ok with climbing narrow flights of stairs and sleeping above a pub with a wonderful staff, biweekly trad music, great food and overall amazing Scottish atmosphere, check out the Babbity Bowster. We LOVED it!!!
http://babbitybowster.com/

Posted by
11315 posts

We stayed at the Premier Inn Glasgow City Center Buchanen Galleries and it was perfect for connections/public transport and even for walking. We used R.S. self-guided walks. Don't miss the Mussel Inn if you like mussels!

Posted by
185 posts

I stayed at Adelaide's Guest House on my recent visit to Glasgow. I got the recommendation from the RS Scotland book. I enjoyed my stay there. It was in a good location, the price was right, and they had a decent continental breakfast included in the price. I also thought the HOHO bus offered a decent introduction to the city and allowed me to connect some of the sites that were a little farther out. I'm not usually a fan of the HOHO bus tours, but for me it was a nice way to get over jet lag. You could also utilize the walks from the RS guidebook if you have it, he has two different ones for Glasgow.

We stayed at the Marriott in April for my husband's work trip and really enjoyed the hotel. It was on Argyll street and wasn't a far walk from the station at all. It was close to shopping, dining, public transportation, and if you end up renting a car, easy access to the freeway. I would definitely stay there again. I also highly recommend visiting the Kelvingrove Art Museum. We loved seeing the Dali they had and the building itself is beautiful.

We stayed at the Marriott in April for my husband's work trip and really enjoyed the hotel. It was on Argyll street and wasn't a far walk from the station at all. It was close to shopping, dining, public transportation, and if you end up renting a car, easy access to the freeway. I would definitely stay there again. I also highly recommend visiting the Kelvingrove Art Museum. We loved seeing the Dali they had and the building itself is beautiful.