Please sign in to post.

Glasgow Hotel recommendation - May 2024

Traveling in May 2024, looking for a hotel with three individual rooms- Grasshoppers is booked, (my first choice), intrigued by Voco Grand Central; want to stay central or West End. Feedback on Voco or other recommendations?

Thank you!

Posted by
6318 posts

I actually stayed at Grasshoppers and really enjoyed it, but I do remember seeing that building since it was close by and thinking how amazing it looked. It's a good location and close to Central station. It's gotten good reviews on Google, too, if that means anything to you.

If you don't mind losing some ambience, there are Premier Inns in that area and a Motel One. Very reasonably priced and usually consistent in terms of quality and cleanliness. I've stayed at both of them in other areas and have always been pleased.

Posted by
4100 posts

We stayed at Motel One in June 2022 and were pleasantly surprised. It's fairly close to Grasshopper.

Posted by
2320 posts

I stayed at the Grand Central in 2015. It’s a cool concept in that it is connected to the train station, with some rooms having windows that look right out onto the train platform. The negative is that train stations have very loud announcements, which those rooms will hear pretty clearly. I requested a quiet room. We were on the 4th or 5th floor. Our window looked out onto the roof of the train platform. We could still hear muffled announcements. Not a problem as we weren’t in the room much, but something to consider.

We had a twin room and it was very spacious for European standards. The bathroom was very large with a tub. The hotel was very swanky, but current pictures look like it’s been re-done with more of a funky vibe. There was a bar that looks out onto the train station. They served an afternoon tea at another restaurant, but we failed to reserve in advance so we didn’t get to try it. The concierge was very helpful with restaurant recommendations.

Be aware that there are two main train stations in Glasgow. If your train is leaving/arriving at Central, it’s so convenient. We took a day trip to Edinburgh and it was a breeze. You also have the benefit of all the shops in the train station right outside your door (grocery, drug store). Easy to get a cab just outside also.

Posted by
5752 posts

I stayed in the Grand Central before it was sold to its current owners in a room which overlooked the station concourse.
So I could see the trains and people watch.
At least then it was a grand hotel, a totally cool room to stay in, and super handy.
And in those days very keen pricing.
I wouldn't hesitate in recommending it as long as the current owners haven't done anything drastic to it to downgrade it.
The building has a great heritage.

Posted by
9573 posts

I stayed at the Voco Grand Central a couple of years ago in October (after having stayed at Grasshoppers and a Premier Inn a couple of times previously).

I absolutely adored it. I splurged a little on a little fancier category of room (I guess just about one category up from what I usually reserve) and had a huge room that faced out on the street rather than on the station side.

I looooooved the old grandeur of the hotel, the location, the room, the decoration. Everything. I would stay there again in a heartbeat if prices are still what I can afford.

I had an afternoon snacks and champagne in the bar before going to the airport and really enjoyed that too. As someone upthread mentioned, it was also handy having the station shops for picking up little things - magazines, Boots stuff, whatever.

Also about a block away is Tantrum donuts, which is excellent. I got a donut and made tea in my room rather than paying for the hotel breakfast, so I can’t speak to their breakfast.

Posted by
606 posts

We stayed in 7 Boutique Hotel last May. It's recently remodeled, rooms are gorgeous, breakfast is great, is a historic building, super quiet despite the location, and was quite reasonable. We usually stay at Prague House on the west side, but Mary was full.