Please sign in to post.

Gatwick airport to London

Due to the planned rail strike on May 31st, we decided it was best to book flights on Easy Jet from Edinburgh to London. I did get a full refund on our train tickets. I have found a taxi service for my family of six (all adults) - around $140 from airport to our hotel in Victoria. I'm concerned this may be a nightmare drive in London traffic, but assume I can't count on train service into the city either.

Thought I would consult the wise people on this forum for any suggestions! Any recommendations on transfer services from airport that are better than others?

Posted by
358 posts

I've had to do Gatwick train trips on three or four strike days - it's a priority route and ran each time. Some were cancelled, some were delayed, but they all ran. I would be very surprised if you couldn't get the train from Gatwick. And your trip is arrival day so not too much of an issue there are some short delays

Posted by
5694 posts

Assuming that there are trains running, use your Oyster card or Contactless card at the ticket barriers. That will cost you £9.50 each (each person will need to use their own card)- that is cheaper then buying a paper ticket on any operator, or even an advance fare.

Posted by
859 posts

I would do almost anything to avoid a road transfer from LGW into central London. There are virtually no motorways, so it’s a very slow crawl through busy suburbs virtually all the way.

Posted by
5694 posts

It has now been confirmed that no trains will be running on any operator on 31 May- Gatwick Express, Thameslink or Southern, so whether by coach, taxi or uber some kind of road transfer will be needed.

Posted by
5694 posts

Nat Ex are charging premium fares that day so for 6 people the fare is £210.60 making the taxi look cheap.
By the way LNER are running a few trains on 31 May from EDI to LON, as are LUMO.

Posted by
32709 posts

be careful with uber and its notorious surge pricing

Posted by
60 posts

Thank you for the replies! I did book an airport transfer for 138 £ for the six of us. I will prepare everyone for the slow crawl….and maybe a nap. At least with an 11 am arrival we should make to our 7:30 pm show:)!

Posted by
14945 posts

Traffic in London isn't great but not as bad as you think considering where you are staying. You will be coming from the south and Victoria station is sort of in the southern part north of the river. You don''t have to drive through the worst areas for traffic.