Please sign in to post.

Enumclaw WA Scottish Clan gathering and games July 22-23, 2023

Not Scotland, but close to it.

Wondering whether my fellow Forum members, especially those in the PNW, know much about the gathering of clans and Highland games held in Enumclaw WA. I am planning on attending this year and thought of posting an open invitation to Forum members who might be interested in meeting up for an event or two, or perhaps to enjoy a meat pie and pint. Here is the link - hope you join me.

I also posted this under Beyond Europe

https://www.sshga.org/

Posted by
5728 posts

I've never managed to get to a Highland Games even in Scotland, which is kind of shocking.
At least I'm finally getting to a Common Riding this year, which has been a long term aim, having had to book a full year ahead to secure a hotel room in Dumfries for it.

Posted by
1318 posts

Carol, that other event in Mt Vernon is news to me. Thanks for the link.

Posted by
1318 posts

isn31c

Hmm. I could look that up, I suppose, but what is a Common Riding? Is it equestrian in nature?

Posted by
5728 posts

It's very much an equestrian event. It is all about riding and marking the boundaries of a town, checking that the boundaries are still there in their right place. Its something pretty unique to the Scottish Borders and parts of Dumfries and Galloway.
In a time before maps it also was a reminder to the populace of where the boundaries were.
It dates back to more troubled times when the Border Reivers were around.
By all accounts quite thrilling.
Also lots of partying afterwards. In Dumfries it is actually called Guid Nychburris. That is dialect and dates from a time when criminals would be instructed to be a Guid Nychburr (good neighbour) or face dire consequences.
The lead rider always has to be single in case (anciently) he was killed by invaders while defending the boundary.
Usually ridings start at first light, around 5am with the bugle, drums and pipers call. Dumfries starts at a more civilised time of 7.40 am , and also has a reading of the town's Royal Charter and has various events happening the previous week in the style of Up Helly Aa (where the parade and burning of the galley is only a small part of the proceedings). In Dumfries that involves the Cornet and other officers visiting schools and care homes, there will be balls during the preceeding week. The whole town gets involved.

Posted by
6292 posts

isn31c, that sounds fascinating! I'm planning to attend Highland Games at Gordon Castle near Elgin and am really looking forward to it, but the Common Riding sounds like it would be worth booking a hotel room a year in advance. :) I hope you'll let us know how it is.

Posted by
5728 posts

I intend to do.
I was looking on Wikipedia this morning at International Highland Games, and in WA only the one at Kelso in September is listed- neither Mount Vernon or Enumclaw are on their list.

Posted by
10215 posts

I was already going to be just a few miles from Enumclaw in July, departing on the 21st. I’m now going to stay until the 24th. I’d love to meet up with people. My son-in-law’s father plays the pipes, he has even competed in Glasgow, and has played at this festival in Enumclaw. He lives close by. My daughter says it’s a lot of fun.

Posted by
1318 posts

isn31 - wow, thank you for educating us on this Common Riding - equestrian event. There is so much to learn about customs and heritage. Im fascinated and look forward to hearing all about your experience.

Andrea: so cool that your family is interested in this gathering. Enumclaw is a beautiful place in the summer with Mt Rainier as a backdrop. Looking forward to seeing you and the family there.

Posted by
5728 posts

Thanks to Linda's prompt I have now booked myself to my first Highland Games, in Scotland- the first of the season at Gourock, on the Clyde, so a week before Mardee's.
It's only taken me 4 decades!!
I couldn't find anywhere in Oban for the Argyllshire Gathering (one of the biggest) so Gourock will do me just great. I've managed to score myself a PI in central Glasgow the night after the games at a brilliant price, and a side trip to Inverness the day after on my way back to England, again at a brilliant price.

Posted by
1318 posts

Thank you for posting your detailed report. The whole process of confirming boundaries is fascinating.