Please sign in to post.

England/Scotland Itinerary

We're booked into a nice home in the Cotswolds for 6 nights and the Lake District for 2 nights; Need something reasonable in Edinburgh for 2 nights (4 adults -either 2 double rooms for self cater), under 80GBP per night, need to stay for 2 nights in the North Country and 2 nights about 1-2 hours from the Edinburgh Airport. Any suggestions would be appreciated?
Also the guys would like to see a couple of Scotch (Whiskey) places in the North (which are the better ones)?

Balmoral Castle etc???

Thanks,
Jean

Posted by
1634 posts

North country, do you mean north of England or north of Scotland? Both would be translatable.

As for whisky any suggestions would depend on where you ended up. My favourites tend to be Argyll rather than further north. If you want to go to Balmoral you are basically tied to much of the North East as it is not easy to get to.

Posted by
490 posts

Oops, I mean North Scotland; Argyll is farther West and don't have time...
Thanks,
Jean

Posted by
94 posts

I can recommend Priestville b&b in Edinburgh. Good location. Clean. Good breakfast. Quirky. Stayed there last week and would stay again. Good pricing . Also recommended by Rick.

Posted by
94 posts

We extensively toured distilleries all over Scotland. Favorite speyside was Glenfiddich as it is family owned, nice facility, 4 wee drams vs. 1 from most others. Glengrant is also nice.

Posted by
1634 posts

In the north Inverness can be a good place to start looking for accomodation, either in the B&Bs or in the chain hotels, there are both Travellodge and Premier Inns of multiples, two of the former and at least three of the latter.

Inverness as far as whisky, note in Scotland no 'e', is in the Highland area but has easy access to Speyside distilleries.

Posted by
490 posts

Kay from Vancouver; we've booked 2 nights at the Priestville Guest House in Edinburgh, Scotland. Many thanks for your recommendation.
Jean

Posted by
94 posts

Wonderful, Jean. Lots of Americans stay there. Colin will meet you in his kilt with a Scottish brogue thicker than porridge.

Posted by
94 posts

We stayed in Aviemore for a week and found it handy for distillery hopping. It's about an hour from most. Dufftown or Grantown-on-spey are closer.

Posted by
5678 posts

Another possibility would be to stay in Pitochery. There are two distilleries. It is close to Blair Castle and there are lots of beautiful drives around the area. There is also the Explorers Garden and the Festival Theatre. And they have lots and lots of B&Bs and some interesting small hotels.

Pam

Posted by
279 posts

If you are thinking about Inverness, I can highly recommend the Pottery House on Loch Ness, about 8 miles southeast of town. It was our favorite B&B on our 2012 trip! It was built as a B&B, so the rooms are cozy yet not tiny, have a minifridge with filtered water and a bottle of milk in the closet alongside very comfy robes, comparatively huge bathrooms (when compared with other B&Bs), and just fantastic breakfasts (I had very yummy French toast). Excellently run by two men whose names I cannot recall offhand, but they were perfectly lovely people and very helpful. Both Mom and I were disappointed we could only spend the one night there!