Please sign in to post.

Edinburgh to St Andrews

Is a day trip from Edinburgh to St Andrew’s worthwhile? (We are not renting a car)
Looks like it’s an easy train then bus trip?
Thank you!

Posted by
6378 posts

Yes. There are also direct buses that saves the change in Leuchars.

Posted by
45 posts

100% yes! Go to the Edinburgh Waverley station and buy a round trip ticket to Leuchars. When you get off the train the bus is usually there for the 10 minute trip or there are cabs at the train station. I believe the bus takes a lot longer to get there.

Posted by
5742 posts

I would say absolutely it's worth it. And yes, very easy- train to Leuchars, and bus from the station entrance into St Andrews.
Purchase as a through ticket to destination 'St Andrews Bus'.
That may only be possible on line through the Scotrail website, but can be purchased at a station booking office or a station ticket machine.
Note that if you have a railcard this fare has no railcard discount so a train day return to Leuchars, then bus return would be cheaper.

Depending on the train it takes 1h30 to 1h45 min total journey time. The through coach-bus X59 from Edinburgh only takes 2 hours, so not much longer and costs £11 return- just pay on board.

Posted by
1834 posts

Definitely worth it. It is a delightful town with a long sandy beach as well as a very good ruined castle and cathedral.
Lots of inform,ation and pictures here.

Posted by
8375 posts

Yes! A fun day. I took the bus from Edinburgh to St Andrews which did not involve any changes and was very efficient. Make sure to play the Himalayas course. Golf skill not required.